Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tuesday Tip

Every Tuesday I'm going to try to post about something that you might find useful or helpful. Not all of the ideas will be mine, and if you have a great tip of your own you'd like to share, please leave it in the "Comments". I will, of course, give credit to the author of the tip!

Well, today I thought I'd share a recipe as my Tuesday Tip. My friend Heidi has been wanting this particular recipe ever since she came over for a knitting get-together at my house. It's really easy, tastes fabulous (if I do say so myself), and can be stored for a long period of time, ready to use at a moment's notice (or when you just don't feel like cooking!) I sometimes serve this for dinner, since my family rarely eats breakfast together.

Freezer French Toast 1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened 1/4 cup sour cream 1 loaf of French bread, or whatever bread you have on hand, sliced 3/4 cup orange marmalade, or whatever jam you prefer 6 eggs 1 1/2 cups milk 2 tsp. vanilla 2 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts, or whatever nuts you prefer - macadamia nuts are fantastic! Syrup for serving

In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Make sandwiches with cream cheese mixture on one slice of bread, and jam on the other. In another mixing bowl beat eggs, milk, and vanilla together. Have ready a shallow bowl filled with the crushed nuts. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, shaking off the excess egg. Then place sandwich in nuts, coating both sides. Place sandwich on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Continue until all the sandwiches are made. Cover and freeze sandwiches, then transfer to a freezer container or sealed bag. These can be frozen for up to 1 month.

To serve: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place frozen French Toast on a large, greased baking sheet. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden and heated through, turning once. Serve with syrup.

Makes approximately 10-12 servings

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to make pies (and who doesn't like to eat them?) Well, my mom taught me to make it ahead of time and freeze it in a freezer to oven dish. Then when company comes over all you have to do is pop it into the oven (don't thaw it out).

I use Corningware pie plates or you can use the throw away metal pans. It's a lot of work to make a couple in one day but so worth it when guests pop over and you need a pie (and it makes the house smell good!).

Anonymous said...

Those sandwiches look yummy!! I can't wait to try out your recipe, Thank you so much for sharing it!

Explore-Science-Beyond-the-Classroom said...

I can say from experience Rachel that these are irresistible. I will never house 22 people again without making these. They are winners!
MOm