Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Back to Knitting

You know how the really good knitters swear by the swatch? I must not be one of their number. Nope. I swear at the swatch.

I swatched a full 4x4 inch square for the Something Red Sweater. It came out perfectly. I washed and dried it, and it again came out perfectly. Then I knitted the sweater, and it came out - way too big. I originally intended it to be a size small/medium. It's now too big for my pregnant/post pregnant frame.

Thankfully, I think I can remedy this situation by sewing in the sides four inches. I have to admit, though, that this is a severe blow to my knitterly pride. My sewing self and knitting self are not friends, and they don't like meeting each other over the same projects.

I did decide to re-dye it from gray to red, though. I know everyone said the liked the gray, but it's just too gloomy of a color for me, and with the over-large size, I felt remarkably like a dementor a la Harry Potter.

Since it was already gray, the bright red came out a surprisingly nice shade of rose. Perfect for me, as I love roses. (Notice I cleaned my mirror since the last photo, hee hee!)

Here's a better close-up of the color, and a close-up of the non-swatch correct stitches. Grrrrrrr.

An added bonus to dyeing the sweater was it also dyed the button. The button was originally gray. Nice looking, isn't it? I just love buttons.

I frogged the blue version of this same pattern and started it again. Although my swatch with this version was correct as well, it's not knitting up according to swatch. I just don't get it. *Sigh*.

Oh well. At least now I know to keep an eye on the measurements, and I'm making adjustments as I go. I have a niggling worry (I just love the word, "niggling") that it's too small.

Too small, too big, story of my knitting life.

(Just in case you're appalled at me, let me state that this was all done prior to giving birth. Knitting has come to a drastic halt since Sunday, as I haven't yet figured out how to nurse and knit. Any suggestions?)

No comments: