Friday, February 13, 2009

Scrapbook Slipcovers


I was going through my fabric stash the other day, when it occurred to me that I could sew up some Scrapbook Slipcovers. I have been scrapping for several years now, and I have a tidy collection of scrapbooks. Trying to find a particular scrapbook out of the shelf of scrapbooks can be frustrating, to say the least.

No offense to Creative Memories (sorry Lynn), but their albums, while definitely well-made, are usually rather - um - boring.

So, here is my solution - Scrapbook Slipcovers!
They are made to expand to fit any 12x12 scrapbook album, even if they're up to 3 1/2 inches thick! On the binding edge I've sewn a clear plastic pocket, so you can label the album as well. No more fumbling around through a mountain of heavy books to find the one you want!
I mean, really, if you've gone to all the work to create a book of unique photo memories, why stick that work into a boring book? Like it or not, we do judge a book by its cover.
I've finished a few of them, so I'm putting them in the shop today to sell. Depending on how well they sell, I might buy some more cute fabric and make up some more (as opposed to raiding my stash for whatever I had on hand).
What do you think?

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I've always been interested in scrapbooking but never actually done it...but that first cover is almost enough to get me started, ADORABLE! ;0)

Sereknitty said...

Great idea! Very pretty. The plastic sleeve on the binding is genius. I also like the fact that the covers are removable, so that if there's an 'oops', they can be washed. This is much better than the old way where we used to glue the fabric down onto the album and then you were stuck with it -- forgive the unintended pun!

Ellen said...

L-O-V-E them! As I was reading, I was thinking that you should post these on your Etsy page!!!! I love that they're expandable and that you've added the plastic sleeve for labeling. You're so talented!

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

I didn't even finish reading your post! The first thing I can think of is.....Sell those on ETSY! What a great idea and so cool. I WANT several! :) You absolutely must find some tree frog fabric and use that for Gaby. Banna can get Miss Sunshine. :) And Petesy can get Dinosaurs. How neat! I love it. I have to agree that CM albums, while well-made, are boring! I love the slip cover idea. You are so creative and crafty. It looks easy enough to make...I'm just afraid of fabric.
LOL.. :)

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Oh, I want Hello Kitty. Do they even sell Hello Kitty fabric?? That would be so cool.

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Yay...Mine all mine. I just bought the green one. Me wants one. Me needs one. :) Me wants one for each of my scrapbooks. I need a cool one for Caleb's school years. One for our family. A Christmas one...Ooooo, do Christmas ones. Everyone would love those. What a great idea!!!? I have a crop on Feb 28th. Send it quick so that I can show it off. :)