Sunday, June 21, 2009

More Christmas Knitting - in Christmas Colors!


I had so much fun knitting myself a Hey Teach! sweater a few months ago (free pattern), I decided to knit up another one as a Christmas gift for - - - - - - (wouldn't you just love to know!)


For this sweater I used Berrocco Comfort worsted, and I have mixed feelings about the yarn (this is the first time I've knit with it). On the good side, it's ridiculously soft, something that's not always the case with 100% acrylic yarn, and has a wonderful drape to the finished fabric. On the downside, it's very splitty, and I found a few stitches that were half-knit, and unfortunately I didn't notice them until the sweater was nearly done (and of COURSE the mistake was near the bottom first inch. Grrrrrrr . . . .) The bottom half of the sweater is a nice basic stockinette, and when I knit stockinette I don't watch what I'm doing (perfect for TV knitting), so splitty yarn is a real pain for that purpose. Also, I discovered the odd fact that this yarn is a lint magnet. For some inexplicable reason, any dust particle passing within a quarter-mile of my knitting decided to take up residence in the yarn. Thankfully, it all seemed to disappear in the washing stage . . .


Although I usually pick wild and funky buttons, for this sweater, a simple plain matching red button seemed to make the most sense. I couldn't BELIEVE that I could find buttons in the exact shade that I needed!

One of my favorite patterns to knit, I have a feeling I'll be knitting a few more. Who knows, since I still have 5 skeins of this yarn left (this pattern only used up 3 skeins), maybe I'll knit up another one for myself!

2 comments:

smariek said...

They're both really cute! I like the red one more though (cuz it's a color I'm more likely to wear).

hakucho said...

You really must like this pattern!! I love the raspberry color...yum, just like sherbet :)