Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pajama Pants Reduction

When I pulled out my winter clothes, I found that several things no longer fit me, as I've lost a little weight since last year.  I decided to refashion one of the items, a pair of comfy fleece pajama pants, into a pair that would fit little Miss Boo.

First, I put a pair of Miss Boo's pants on top of mine to use as a guide.  I then cut around her pants, leaving several inches higher than the waist and longer on the bottoms for a 1 inch seam allowances, as well as 1/2 inch around the sides.

Although fleece fabric doesn't usually run, I sewed the side seams together with a regular straight stitch and then a reinforcing zig-zag stitch.

I measured down about 1 1/2 inches from the top waistline, and sewed two button holes (which look oddly creepy in this photo).

Even in better lighting it still looks creepy.

Once your button holes are sewn, fold the top edge down so that a "tube" is created. 

Using the ribbon from the original over-sized pants, thread it through the buttonholes.  I find that putting a safety pin on one end and working it though is fairly quick and easy.

At the center back, sewn down across the ribbon so that it can't be pulled all the way through.  (Make sure the ribbon is even on both ends of the eyelet holes first).


Hem the bottom of the legs to the desired length, and that's it!  Quick and easy, and ready for the fashionista in your household!


No comments: