Thursday, November 10, 2011

Boo's Birthday

 

Miss Boo celebrated her 6th birthday this past October, and for her theme she requested a Mermaid Party.

(Not a "Little Mermaid" party, but a Mermaid Party i.e. generic.  She was very specific on that point.  Apparantly she wanted an equal-opportunity party for mermaids of different hair colors.)

Since everyone knows a self-respecting mermaid does best with water, I decided to have her party at our gym, which has an indoor pool.

To create a "seaweed" curtain, I bought two green plastic tablecloths from the Dollar Tree, taped them to the top of the door frame, and then shredded them with scissors.  I had Miss Boo color several pictures of fish, starfish, and other assorted sea creatures, and I taped them into the seaweed curtain.

I borrowed a bubble machine and had it set up behind the curtain so that when the kids came through, they entered an underwater grotto.

This had the double benefit of providing a good 20 minutes of entertainment while we waited for all the guests to arrive.

After cake and ice cream Miss Boo opened her presents. 

Usually the food and gift opening is at the end of the party, but because the kids were going to be swimming, I thought it best to get the food in their tummies for at least 20 minutes before they swam to avoid any "unpleasant recurrences".

She got some great swag.

After the gifts were opened, Handyman did the cleanup while I took the kids (and accompanying parents) to the pool area.

Thankfully I didn't need to get in the water, as I had "help".
For the goodie bags, I purchased gold gift bags from the dollar tree, and then stapled a fish border onto the top.

I couldn't find anything more specifically "mermaid", so I had to make do with what I could find and what I could manage with my depleted energy level.

It was a great success!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pug Hugs!

-Joosh

Unknown said...

You're always so creative with your parties!!! Looks like a great time! Love the seaweed curtain with the bubble machine! Fun!!