Thursday, January 26, 2023

Sunrise to Sunset

Thanks to the time difference between The Frigid North and The Islands, I usually find myself waking up with plenty of time to catch a sunrise (providing I'm near the eastern side of The Island). Today, Ella and I headed to the nearby Waimanalo Beach. 

It was quiet, with no tourists, and only the sound of the wind and waves and the occasional coo of a Morning Dove. I don't think there's any better soundtrack in the whole world. With my toes in the sand and the ocean in front of me, it's like I can feel that tight kink inside of me, the one that steadily gets tighter the longer winter goes on . . . relax.
Going from one happy place to another, after Waimanalo, we drove along the east side of The Island, until we got to Kaneohe. Hunger (and 12 months without local food) dictated we stop for breakfast. We found a charming little restaurant called Cafe Kalawe. 

Ella was happy because she got pancakes. I was happy because I got Loco Moco, which, if you haven't heard of it, is an amazing, artery-clogging combination of rice, hamburger patty, fried egg, and brown gravy. 


From there, we continued around the island, past beautiful beaches on the right and the gorgeous Ko'olau Mountains on the right. It's a long drive (about an hour), but so gorgeous. 

Our destination was Shark's Cove. Ella was hoping we would be able to snorkel there, but the wave forecast wasn't promising, and sure enough, the cove was WAY too dangerous. I don't think I've ever seen such huge waves, although I know that it's not that uncommon for this time of year.

Photos really don't do it justice. 

This is what it looked like around this time last year.

We continued onward, and stopped for awhile at Waimea Bay to catch the surfers. The Eddie Aikau tournament had ended a few days before, so the crowds weren't bad at all.
 I think the waves were about 30 feet, and the life guards had their hands full. 
Obviously, no one other than professional surfers were allowed on the beach (too dangerous).

- and, of course, there were chickens. 
We finished off the day with a spectacular sunset. Kilauea on The Big Island is currently sending over lots of Vog, so the sunsets are especially gorgeous lately. 

I'm so blessed, and my heart is full.

No comments: