Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yarn Dyeing

Two years ago I hosted a "Yarn Dyeing" party, and this year since I'm teaching a few little girls in our church how to knit, I figured it was time to host another one.


We used the Knitty directions for dying yarn with Kool-Aid, which is wonderfully easy and creates bright colors perfect for kids (and it's relatively cheap!)

It cracked me up, because the girls were very careful to pick their favorite colors and apply them just so.

"Oh no, I got a bit too much green on the green part!"

The boys, on the other hand, were not as particular.

Not at all.

It was a bit like being in the middle of a water fight involving flying splashes of psychedelic colors.





Once the yarn was dyed, I zapped it in the microwave for 2 minutes at a time until the colors were set.

Then we set the yarn on the porch to dry. 

It was a very pretty sight, I must say!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

How fun for them, and how pretty it turned out! Wish you could teach ME all your craftiness! :)