Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Much Better Today

I'm feeling a lot better today. Thanks for all the encouraging words and wise potty-training advice. (Speaking of potty training, Peter is convinced that there is actually such a thing as a "Potty Train". You know, choo-choo train.)

I have a guilty confession to make. I have found the secret to getting great Christmas stuff from my students. Every year I bake cookies, and put them in a pretty gift bag with a Christmas card for each student. Usually I don't get around to doing this until the week before Christmas, but this year I jumped the gun and got it all done by the second week of December. Wow, what a difference it makes in the reciprocal gift giving! Many of my students give me a little something anyway, but this year, the percentage of student/gift ratio is much higher. I feel like such a heel for even noticing, but I couldn't help it!

Take, for instance, this gift basket. It is LOADED with goodies. LOADED. Shall I make you envious with my hoard of gifts? Shall I? Hmmm?

Three skeins of yarn, 3 bars of Dark Chocolate (my favorite), a jar of nut trail mix, four jars of homemade jelly, two jars of homemade grape juice, homemade oat bread, double chocolate brownie mix, homemade cocoa mix, a candle, apples and oranges, and more stuff that I just can't recall, at this time.

What should I make with the yarn, by the way? I've never made anything with specialty yarns. Any suggestions from you crafters out there?

Oh, if you're wondering what I teach, I teach private lessons at my home (voice, violin, and piano).

I wish I could say that my teaching has exponentially improved this past year, but, alas, I don't think that's the case. Nope. The student/gift ratio must be due to the early reminder of gift-giving (i.e. cookie bag).

Like I said, I feel awful for even noticing all this. Oh well. I'll just have to console myself with some hot chocolate and brownies . . . .

(No hate mail, please)

3 comments:

Ali said...

Ha! That is awesome! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. Good job with the advance gifts! I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Your gifts look lovely. I always enjoyed exchanging gifts with my students too. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking pleasure in what they've given you. You obviously care for them too, or you wouldn't have prepared gifts for them.

Danielle said...

Rachel, I'm so very glad that today finds you feeling better! That gift looks absolutely fabulous! I envy you being a vocal teacher, I can't carry a tune even if it's in a suit case, ha, ha!