Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Mystery of the Second Sock

I have been watching a lot of Sherlock Holmes movies lately, produced by the BBC. I would highly recommend them, as the acting is incredible and they are highly entertaining. Jeremy Brett, who plays Holmes, perfectly embodies the eccentric detective.

Anyway, being the busy person I am, I've been happily knitting away while watching these delightful made-for-TV movies. The projects I have been knitting are these:

The sock on the left is for my nephew, Caleb who's birthday is in March, and the sock on the right is for my sister, Angie (his mommy). Since most of the titles by Conan Doyle (the author of the Sherlock Holmes books) have interesting references to the "Mystery of the - - - -", I've decided to entitle my post in a similar fashion.

So where is the mystery in all of this? Well, the mystery is if I'll finish the second sock. I made the mistake of finishing one of each. As any sock-knitter knows, finishing the second sock is quite tedious and well-nigh impossible. All the excitement of seeing your sock done has already been accomplished by the first sock. Why bother making a second?

On a happier note, I am quite pleased with the composition of these particular socks. Usually I'm unhappy with their fit, but I think I've finally gotten the "snug factor" down by decreasing needle sizes from the original pattern.

I'm in love with Angie's fluffy pink socks. They are a worsted-weight acrylic faux mohair, and incredibly soft. In fact, I think I'd keep them if it weren't for the fact that I've knitted them to fit her teeny feet. Alas, they are too small for my size 8 foot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been very busy. I Hope to see another pair of socks just like the ones on the model;) I think if I don't knit two at once, I would have only one sock, too.

Ali said...

Cute socks! I like the lego one alot. What pattern do you use?

Woman who knits said...

Love both socks! I also knit loose and have to go down a needle size on most patterns!

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Gimme my socks! :) Ha! I hope I get two! :) Love the fluffy pink ones. Caleb has been stealing my fabulous blue ones, so he'll love the lego ones! :) Can't wait. I have begun my "project", but I don't want you and Mom to know what it is...so I can't put it on the blog. It'll just have to be a surprise. Now, that's a mystery...tee hee.

Anonymous said...

Hmmph! WHERES MY SOCKS???! that pink is really MY color! sniff :(

j/k...but seriously socks are cool in the winter! ...cool in the winter? but i need warmth but wanna look cool?? ok whatever, you get the idea.

Rach, you're a size 8? me too :) Angie is the only one w/ ittie bittie feet.

love your sis in atlanta w/ no socks :(