Saturday, January 6, 2007

Wrath of the Lonely House

Well, we are finally back home after two weeks of vacation in South Carolina. This morning we had to wake up at 4:30 in order to catch our early-bird flight in Charlotte, and we finally arrived in Freeport around noon. Needless to say, Andy and I are exhausted, especially since the baby decided to keep us awake the night before.

Have you ever noticed that houses have personalities? Well, my house missed us terribly. I think that it was so lonely, it put up a slight temper-tantrum. As soon as we entered the house, it was quite evident that our usually homey home had quite the attitude problem. Now, I am not the neatest housekeeper in the world, but I put up a heroic effort to have the house semi-tidy before we left for vacation. For some reason, when we returned, the house looked (and smelled) quite different.

In truth, it's just that when you're gone for awhile, things you usually overlook suddenly pop out at you with glaring signals. For instance, the crayon marking that I keep forgetting to scrub off, the plant that died and still hasn't been thrown out, the piles of laundry that I wish would disappear . . . . .

Still, I'm fairly proud of myself for actually getting everything unpacked. It was a huge effort, because standing in the middle of a house in shambles can be very overwhelming. (I'm sure all you mothers out there know exactly what I'm talking about; "Where in the world do I begin?") The kitchen is in some order now, although I still have vaccuuming and more clean up to do elsewhere. Somehow, though, if my kitchen is clean, I can bear the disaster everywhere else.

No comments: