Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Knitting and Crocheting Updates

I haven't really finished anything lately, but I've been making good progress on some things I started awhile ago. I'll have more photos later, but here are some new things I've begun (yes, I know, I shouldn't have too many projects in the works at one time . . . but it's so much fun to start new things!)

We've been needing a bath mat in our bathroom, and I haven't really found an affordable one yet, so I thought I'd just quit being a ninny and crochet one. The kids dump a ton (literally) of water on the floor when they take a bath, so any bath mat I make must be washable and nearly indestructible. Therefore, my best option was acrylic yarn. I have a bin full of acrylic from my sweet SiL Kathy, and this is the perfect project for it. To break up the monotony of off-white I added one skein of tan yarn to two skeins of off white, and crocheted three strands at one time with a size J hook. I still have a few more inches to go before I add the scalloped border, but I'm happy with how it's looking so far. I was going to write out the pattern for this as I made it, but I hate writing crochet patterns and gave up the idea in despair half way through crocheting the mat. I'm just winging it, and later I'll have a basic pattern written for advanced crocheters to try, which I'll post to my design blog.

This is a lace scarf I've started that I'm writing out the pattern for also. I'm not that familiar with lace, yet, so I'm borrowing heavily from stitch dictionaries. I do like the look so far, though. I'm calling it White Diamonds Lace Scarf/Stole and will include directions for widening it into a stole. It's a very interesting knit, and writing the chart for this was a nightmare. However, the chart is done (I hope with no mistakes!), so the knitting should progress smoothly from now on. This is DEFINITELY a high-con project (i.e. high concentration). I can't wait to have it finished and blocked so I can really see it "open up"!

1 comment:

Diane said...

What a great idea to make a bath rug. I should make one for my daughter since my grandsons feel their bath isn't done until there is more water out of the tub than in the tub.