Monday, May 7, 2007

Latest Ambitions

From my last post, you'll know that I have a hard time finishing projects. Well, the real reason for this is that I'm so excited to start another project, that I find it hard to wait. If it weren't for the fact of my limited supply of needles, I'd have 10 projects going at once. As it is, I always have one sock, one sweater (at least), and one scarf going at any given time.

I've been stewing about what to do with my gorgeous Malabrigo yarn. I've never knit or owned anything Malabrigo before, so I'm a bit hesitant to decide what to do with this gorgeousness. I can always knit a scarf with it, which would be luscious, but I was thinking a nice fitted vest would look cool, and I think I have just about enough. So, advice, please?

I like the look of Eunny Jang's V-necked fitted vest, but not quite so low in front. Also, I need a pattern that will work for worsted weight yarn. Any ideas where to find one?

Here are my questions: (1) does this yarn "wear" well? I know it's wonderful for scarves, but should I consider using it for clothing? (2) do you think 648 yds. is enough for a medium or large fitted vest? (3) do you know a book or place I can find a nice fitted V-neck vest pattern?

Finally, I ran across this in my blog perusals. Is this not the most gorgeous aran style sweater you've ever seen? I just love this pattern! However, there's one tiny little glitch - it's in Japanese. I am not deterred, though, and plan to purchase this lovely little book as soon as I have some spare change. Besides, my dear, sweet brother Josh (yes, I'm buttering him up!) is learning Japanese. What better way to use it then to translate a knitting pattern for me? (Interested, Josh?)

Here's the specs for the book, if you want to check it out for yourself:
Book Title : nitsuto ni koishite shimada toshiyuki no se ta butsuku dentou nitsuto no atarashii densetsu
Author Name(s) : shimada toshiyuki
Language : Japanese
Publisher / ISBN : 4529039927
Release Date : October 19, 2004
YesAsia Catalog No. : 1003858802
Price : $18.49
Link to buy book : here

4 comments:

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

I can actually see a little Japanese girl wearing this adorable sweater set. Very nice! Looks very difficult to make...If you found the book on line, is there a website? There may be an english version...

Anonymous said...

haha I can try.

--Josh

bananapocky said...

Hi! I visited your blog because I saw your post on ISE4. I have a website that might help with the Japanese patterns if you do end up getting that book and I thought I'd share. :)

http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/japanese/e-index.html

Please note that there is some difference between Japanese needle sizes and they also usually knit from a chart. Good Luck! :)

Michelle said...

Those Japanese knitting books are tempting, aren't they?