Sunday, May 6, 2007

Finishing

I have a very bad habit of starting projects, getting them 99% done, and then not completely finishing them. I've been trying to break myself of this habit for years, and I'm slowly (but surely) seeing improvement.

I finished knitting this scarf about three weeks ago, but I just now got around to blocking it and weaving in the ends. It's a gift for - - - - . (Wouldn't you like to know!) It's the Tiger's Eye Lace Scarf knit in Royal Bamboo (can you see the "eyes" staring at you?). I just love how well it came out. Nice and long, without being to wide, and the drape and feel is incredible. I think bamboo and Malabrigo are fast becoming my favorite yarns ever! (That's really saying a lot, because I love yarn of almost any kind).

I also finished sewing the cushions for my couch. This stupid project fought me every inch of the way. The back cushions sewed up fairly easily, but for some reason the bottom cushions didn't want to behave. First, part was too long, so I had to tear it out (ick). Well, I won't bore you with the details. Let me just say that I worked on this awful thing all day yesterday, and didn't finish it until this afternoon. I'm soooooooo glad to have this behind me! It will be awhile before I drag my sewing machine out again!

Finally, I finished sewing in the ends of the Classic Twist Sweater. I also wrote out the pattern for men's s,m,l,xl, and xxl sizes and submitted it to Knitty. Keeping my fingers crossed! My hopes aren't that high that they'll accept my pattern, because I don't think it looks all that original. Nice, yes, but not original. Oh well, at the very least I'll have the pattern written out for myself (and my sweet readers) for future use!

7 comments:

Ellen said...

Rachel, you make the nicest items with your knitting skills!! I think that by far, your new scarf is my FAVORITE piece I have seen since reading your blog. It is so gorgeous! The pattern and colors are just - I'm speechless... And I stand in awe at your sweater! (Andy is so silly. - Tell him Hi for us.) Kudos on your accomplishments! You should feel good about all that you've finished.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love the scarf...I've printed off the pattern for it and plan on making that soon. I almost started it this weekend, but then I figured I should at least finish my ISE4 pal's scarf first...

I think the sweater looks great. I do hope Knitty will accept it. If not can you try with another place, like MagKNits?

Cindy said...

The sweater & the scarf both look fabulous!

Congrats on finishing the couch cushions too! They look great. I mostly just use my sewing machine for Scout uniform patches nowadays.

Acornbud said...

The scarf is really pretty. I will have to get my hands on some Royal Bamboo. I love malabrigo, too. Your sweater looks very classic...I'll keep my fingers crossed!

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Hi,

The pictures of Andy modeling the sweater just cracks me up...because I know him. Ha!!! :) How on earth did you get him to do that. Mike is sooo OVER my camera. When ever I even break it out, he rolls his eyes and sighs. I think I've pushed my limits....oh well, he'll live. I took lots of pics this weekend, so I'll have a few blogs up some time this week. I'll email you when they are ready. The sweater and scarf look great! :)

Unknown said...

Love your oh-so-creative model... :)

Diane said...

The scarf looks wonderful. Love the outdoor action shots of your sweater.