Wednesday, May 23, 2007

One of the things I love so much about the knitting/blogging combination is the constant inspiration. When I post things I'm knitting (or bloopers) I get the most encouraging comments, and when I read others' blogs about knitting, I am constantly inspired to try new techniques and patterns. I found some great patterns recently from snooping other people's blogs.

I decided to purchase my very first pattern online, and here it is! It is called Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl, and I fell in love with it the first moment I saw it. I don't as yet have a shawl or stole for myself, and I figured it was about time for me to start knitting one. Granted, the weather is getting warm now in the Frigid North, but by the time I get this done, it'll be cold again (*sigh*). I love lace, and especially lace that looks like something. Putting holes in knitting in an abstract design doesn't appeal to me, so I fell in love with this lovely pattern, especially as it has so many beautiful garden designs in it.

The yarn I chose is Lion Brand's Microspun in a vanilla color, which I'd already used (in a differnent color) on some socks. I love the durability and incredible softness of this yarn, and I think it will drape really well. The only thing I don't like about Microspun is that it is very splitty, so I have to watch what I'm doing when I'm knitting it. However, I figured that I'd have to pay attention to what I'm doing with this pattern anyway, so it's okay. I got all the yarn I needed from Joann's for a great deal, and the total to knit this scarf (including pattern) will be $20! I couldn't buy a shawl for that, and now I get all the fun of making it, too (and bragging rights :)!

(Just as an aside, did you know that you can special order yarn from Joann's? As I mentioned, all their Lion Brand yarn is on sale right now, but they didn't have enough Microspun of one dye lot. So, I had it special ordered with no extra cost, and still got the sale price!)

8 comments:

Acornbud said...

What a beautiful shawl! It will sure come in handy for the fall.

Ellen said...

This shawl is sooooooooo pretty! I can hardly wait to see your finished product!

Brenda said...

That's a beautiful pattern! It looks fun to knit! It will be pretty in cream.

Danielle said...

That's a really gorgeous shawl, can't wait to see it!!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a beautiful looking shawl! Can't wait to see the one you make!

Michelle said...

Ooooh! I came to let you know that I'd found the gorgeousest fingering weight scarf ever, and now I'm wanting to order the Shetland Garden pattern. Which isn't a bad thing.

The scarf I found is the Bear Claw Shawlette -- http://olgajazzzy.blogspot.com/2007/03/scarfette.html

Diane said...

Beautiful pattern. Can't wait to see this in progress and done.

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

wOW, that looks very challenging, but if anyone has the motivation to do it, you do!!! It looks beautiful.