Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Curse of the Impossible Dress

WARNING: If you're having a nice day, please do not read further. I would hate to sour your mood. Here's my problem:
I. Just. Hate. This. Dress.

Grrrrrrrrr . . . . (Can you feel my angst from here?) I've never had anything fight me so hard, which is ironic, as I'm knitting this for my stubborn little daughter. I hope it's not a portent of things to come!

Okay, after several awful episodes of frogging, I managed to get the main part of the dress done. However, the awful thing has developed a sick sense of humor, and has found several ways to ruin my sense of knitting ability. First of all, it's WAY TOO SHORT. Of course, you might say, "why didn't you check the measurements?". You'd be exactly right to say that, but I just assumed that a store bought pattern would have an accurate assessment of a size 2 child. To my horror, I finished the dress and found it to be several inches too short. Size 2 is normally a little large on Breanna!

It's the most awful feeling, to think you're coming to the end of a horrific experience, only to find that you're nowhere near done. The only thing I can think of to correct this problem is to add more flounce to the bottom. Of course, this will most likely look very cute, but it means I must knit the dreaded flounce again! 549 tiny stitches AGAIN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

To help, I bought some pretty white lace and I'm planning to hand sew it to the flounce and sleeve edgings. Still, it's slow, tedious work, and it doesn't help that I had to pay more than I wanted to for the extra lace. This stupid dress is costing me sleep, time, money, and time away from nicer projects.

Someone please tell me this dress is cute? Please tell me that it is worth the agony? After all this drama, all I can see when I look at this dress is a blue blob smirking at me with a smug look of superiority.

I. Will. Conquer. This. Dress.

(If you don't hear back from me, the dress won.)

13 comments:

Danielle said...

Hey I just had a thought, maybe you haven't even begun to do any modifications to the dress yet....you know what you could do instead: you could knit up a cute pair of little shorts with a ruffle on the hem of each leg. That could be cute under the dress. And yes, I do think it's a sweet cute dress. Have a great 4th of July!!

Danielle said...

Oh I almost forgot, I wanted to say how glad I was to read that Honey Bunny is back safe and sound!!

Diane said...

Life is too short to be defeated by a child's dress. Obviously it prefers to be a tunic top and should be treated as such. Pay no more attention to this tunic top dress wanna be.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the dress wants to be a tunic top. Plus I didn't even NOTICE that it was too short till you pointed it out. It's very nice work and you be proud.

LaVerna said...

I say it would be darling with some capris.Or some ruffly knit pantaloons.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all. It's super cute and can't wait to see it in person. Make some little pants with it and she can wear it for a long time. It's obviously sized wrong cause there is NO WAY she is a 2t cause mine is only a 18 months and he's way bigger than her.

JKJJL said...

Sorry about the frustrating dress. Maybe that's why knitting scares me?
Who knows.
Anyway, check your email. I sent you pictures of Jacob's sweater. It's not on Jacob though.
: ) Kathy

Violiknit said...

I think it's a cute dress! I agree that it can be worn with capris if you're worried about the length. You shouldn't have to knit more flounce.

Mamere Knits Too Much said...

wow, great ideas. like the tunic top one. but, if you're really wanting her to wear it as a dress ~how about picking up some stitches inside about an inch or two up & knit down to another ruffle (not necessarily the flounce) but just a ruffle ~double tier type of thing? i also was glad to see bunny make it home!!!!

Sarah said...

The dress is so cute. I completely know how you feel. It's horrible when a project turns against you and knitting is a frustration rather than a pleasure. But it will look lovely when it's finished. Good luck!

Michelle said...

It is cute -- and I like Danielle's idea about the knit shorts. That'll give you two successful projects once you're done!

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Hi Rach,

Saw the dress...I mean shirt! Ha! J/K. No matter how much it has tortured you, rest in the fact that it is wearable (smile!) and you are almost done....Banna Banana Bscana should look quite lovely in it! I just love my new nickname. I will be posting some nice new pics on my nice new (if not equally annoying) blog template. Love you, Angie

mathomhouse said...

Oh, ouch! I would get some plain leggings, myself, for cooler weather wear, so as not to distract from the lacy details and the interesting shaping. Or just let it be a short dress.

A size 2 is NOT a size 2 is NOT a size 2, we've both learned the hard way, I see. I feel your pain!

And objectively, it IS cute!