Saturday, August 25, 2007

Fun at the Fair

Goats. Yes, goats. Our county fair has a lot of 4H involvement, so there's a separate bunker for each kind of animal. There are cows, chickens, sheep, bunnies, pigs (ick, the pigs REALLY stunk), and more funny animals the kids loved to see.
Banna was NOT impressed by the goats. I think she was offended that they tried to nibble on her. Apparently, she's the only thing that's allowed to eat everything in sight.

For some reason I couldn't talk Peter out of wanting to ride these stupid cars. They just go around in a circle (they don't even move!) making the most annoying "honk, honk" sound.
What do you think? Do they look like they're having a good time?
Daddy certainly had fun!
One of the coolest exhibits was a carnivore show about rescued big cats. It didn't even cost anything! The cage contained lions, a Bengal tiger, a white tiger, a leopard, a panther, and a few other cats. We got to sit only five feet away from the cage, so we had a great view. Also, since the cats were younger (but still PLENTY big!), they were so much fun to watch! They jumped on each other and wrestled over their toys just like kittens, only much more mammoth. At the end of the show, we all lined up at the fence, and a helper walked by carrying a baby tiger, which we got to pet. Peter was thrilled about that (and so was I, I must confess!) Honestly, can you say you've actually touched a tiger? Hmmm?
Last year Peter was very afraid of the goats, most likely due to their pushy demeanor and loud "maaaa-aaa-ing", but this year he didn't show any hesitation at all! My brave little boy!
Banna thought the chickens were great fun, but I couldn't help but notice that she seemed to be more interested in their food than in them . . . .


The flying cars were a real treat for Peter, and he got to go on them twice.
Peter wanted to try the bumper cars, but he was obviously too little to drive them, so I had (yes, had) to go with him. It was purely for him, of course. I had no interest in such frivolous things. . . .

I'll try to post later about how I did with my stuff that I entered. I just haven't heard yet about my pie . . . .

Oh, don't forget about my contest! Check it out to win some loot! Also, Golden Purl is having a contest too, and her loot is better than mine *sigh*. Head on over, and tell her I sent you (so I can get my name added twice, hee hee!).

No comments: