Friday, September 28, 2007

Morning with MOPS

This is my second year of going to the twice-monthly MOPS meetings, and I'm so glad to have found such a wonderful group of women. Our MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) is free, has GREAT childcare, and really interesting activities for us moms.

This year, the theme is to "Dwell Well", and we've all been assigned seating groups. I'm part of the "Two-Story" group. Personally, I wouldn't mind being in a "Condo" (lol!), but that's much better than a "Teepee"! (I thought the name idea very clever).

I'm not sure what two groups brought food this week, but it was very tasty, as always.

I saw several women eyeing the cream doughnut. In fact, that particular doughnut did seem to have a dreamy haze about it. (Notice I did NOT take a picture of the woman who finally got that doughnut. And no, it wasn't me. I promise.)

Nikki gave a wonderful presentation about cake making and decorating, and I picked up several good tips. I think the best one, was that after you bake the cake, cover the cake with foil, and put the cake (pan and all) in the freezer right after it comes out of the oven. This locks in the moisture, and you've got the added benefit of cake ready-to-decorate next time you need one! (That is, if Andy doesn't eat it before I can get around to decorating it.)

After Nikki's presentation, we all got the chance to practice our cake decorating skills with some cupcakes. I was feeling a bit queasy, and wisely decided to stay away from that particular table. I don't think a green face goes well with cupcakes. However, everyone else seemed to be having a great time!

Jennifer is the MOPS leader, and she's doing such a fantastic job. Blogless Lynn, who's on the steering committee and in charge of -uh- the word escapes me right now . . . . . publication? presentation? Oh dear, pregnancy moment . . . . where was I? OH yes. Blogless Lynn says that Jennifer is incredibly organized.

MOPS is really a highlight of the week for me (and the kids), and I'm so thankful for the friends I've made there!

No comments: