Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Victory Pork Chops

Alright, perhaps you're laughing at me, but ever since I've gotten married (and thus had to cook regular meals), I've had a sort of quiet battle with the ubiquitous pork chop. I've heard people refer to pork chops as a comfort food, and internally thought, "Pork chops? That dry, chewy meat that tastes like shoe leather?" For EIGHT YEARS long years, the tasty pork chop has successfully eluded my best efforts, dodging and weaving my culinary grasp like a heavy-weight pro.

I would like to declare today, that I have conquered the pork chop. (Trumpets and fanfare, please.)
(Please ignore the bad photo. I assure you, it really does look better when you've taken the time to make it look pretty. Plus, the pork chop was sulking.)

So, what's my secret recipe? Here it is, and if you make it and don't like it, please don't tell me. I prefer to live with my delusions. If you have a better recipe, I also don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss, in this case. My ego couldn't stand the blow.

Victory Pork Chops:
4 Pork Chops
2 Apples, cored and quartered (do not peel)
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Dried basil
1/2 cup Flour
1-2 tbls. Brown Sugar
3 tbls. Butter

Place pork chops in a crockpot and put apple quarters on top. Add a little water to keep pork chops from burning. Cook on high for 2 hours, or until just done (don't overcook). In a resealable plastic bag, place flour, salt, basil, and pepper. Seal bag and shake until mixed. Add pork chops, and shake until pork chops are thoroughly coated. Give an extra shake of vengeance, if you like.

Meanwhile, put butter in a skillet, and heat to medium high. Place pork chops on skillet, and cook until flour coating is crisp, flipping once (remember, the pork chops are already cooked. You're just adding more flavor and calories.) Set aside on covered plate. Resist the urge to nibble.

In same skillet, place now-softened apple slices and brown sugar. Mash with a fork, and cook on low until a soft chutney is formed (about 1 minute).

Serve pork chops with chutney on top. Feel extremely smug as husband gasps with delight and children say in surprised voices, "Mommy, I like this!".

No comments: