Tuesday, November 6, 2007

There Has Been Knittin' Roun' These Here Parts!

Forgive me, but the sudden onslaught of frigid weather and windy days has woken my long-dormant Southern accent. Perhaps my subconscious believes that if I only think Southern thoughts, I'll feel like I'm in Southern climes. Last night, my tummy agreed with my subconscious, and together they forced my hands and feet to drive to the grocery store for a last-minute, purely pregnant-craving-driven need to consume peach pie.

So, peach pie happily consumed, let us resume our blog discussion of knitting.

Yes, there has been knitting. Not as much as in former, happy, times, but a little bit gets knitted here and there (mostly there). A few nights ago I met up with blogless Lynn at the local coffee shop, and we happily knitted and drank delicious brews (purely non-alcoholic, but definitely caffeinated!), while listening to a great musician play in the background. (And yes, I did tip him. I'm only part Dutch.)

Blogless Lynn is working on her first sock. Let's all give her a collective hand of applause for seeing reason and knitting a SOCK, and not a convoluted excuse for a stocking. (Sorry, I just found it funny that her first sock desire was for a pair of knee-high Tyrolean stockings that had more cables than the San Fransisco Bridge.) Woo-hoo, go Lynn!

I finally finished the Blue Diamonds Lace Scarf for my ISE5 pal. Right now it looks rather like a blue stringy piece of hole-y spaghetti, but that's because I haven't blocked it yet. I'm hoping to get around to that this afternoon. We'll see how stressed I am - blocking requires the use of multiple applications of pins, and stress and pins do not go well together.

Although this isn't much to show, I did knit it, so, feeling rather sheepish, here is another dishcloth. I have plans for this he-uh dishcloth, though. Big plans.

See, this Thursday our MOPS is doing a "Home and Hobby Fair". Basically, women with home businesses like Mary Kay, Arbonne, or Creative Memories can set up a table and the rest of us can mill-around and pretend we're interested. (Well, actually, I really am interested, but I don't want to spend any money. Stop sniggering. I don't want to spend any money. I mean it. Stop rolling your eyes at me.)

Anyway, for some inexplicable reason, I had this sudden surge of knitting-circle hope, and I signed up for a table to display my hobby. What was I thinking? Well, obviously I wasn't. Needless to say, I'm having LOTS of last-minute jitters. Still, I'm hoping the little dishcloth will save me. I'll offer to teach people to knit dishcloths in exchange for taxi service to McDonald's every Wednesday. (We still only have one vehicle.) Let's hope that this little dishcloth puts on her mascara and gets all dressed up, because I want the allure of "being able to knit a dishcloth" to be irresistible. McDonald's access is a BIG reason why I am not in jail for double homicide.

Okay, on to other things. Lastly, here is a picture of my sock. However, it is now outdated, as I am currently wearing my socks (both pairs), and feeling warmly smug. Ha, I CAN finish something! The nicest thing about socks is there is no blocking involved (well, only for those fanatical sock knitters who feel the need to block their socks. I have a suspicion that these same people iron their sheets, too.)

No comments: