Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Slings and Arrows of Fortune . . .

"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, end them?"
~ William Shakespeare, "Hamlet"

I just love Shakespeare (especially his sonnets), so I thought this a fitting quote to apply to my latest sewing endeavor, a reversible tube sling. (Get it, "slings and arrows" . . . "sling"? Okay, so it's corny. Whoever said my sense of humor was high-brow?)

My friend Lynn is a avid proponent of sling-wearing, and she's certainly made me a disciple of this wonderful way to get my two arms back to being my two arms. As a stay-at-home mom (especially now that I'm nursing an infant) I often feel that my body is on loan to my three children. The sad thing is that when they finally return my body to me in 15 years or so, I'm not sure that I'll want it back!

(Special Disclaimer: please ignore the frizzy hair, vapid smile and jiggly arms. In fact, pretend that the sling is being magically suspended in thin air by an invisible person. Or just look through me like my children do . . .)

Here. Much better. He's a lot more interesting to look at anyway, since he never has bad hair days.

This sling is reversible, but I'll most likely keep it with the floral print out, because I like floral prints.

Oh, you've noticed that, have you?

I think my favorite thing about this sling was learning how to make a French Seam. It looks so tidy and professional. I couldn't stop making them, and sewed them even where they weren't necessary. I always did have a thing for the French. It's still my favorite language to sing in.

In my dreams I'm a French singer wearing a slinky black sequined dress in a swanky night club. Clark Gable walks in and immediately falls for my alluring charms . . .

Hey, it's not too far-fetched is it? At least I have my Clark Gable!

No comments: