Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bag #2

Sorry about the double music thing going on, to those of you who so kindly read my last few blog posts. I moved the music player to my sidebar (so that it's easier to turn off, if you so wish), but I forgot to delete the first one from the bottom of my blog. Hence, the echoing Dolly Parton, something that shouldn't be inflicted on the weak of heart or those wishing to retain their sanity.

Okay, on to bags.

This is bag #2, which I'm calling "Bag #2" for lack of a more romantic and expressive name. I had tossed around the idea of calling it "Bag Less Badly-Sewn", but try saying that name rather fast, and it makes an interesting sound. "Bagless Badlysown": original, but defeats the purpose of being concise and descriptive. I'm all about being concise. That's why I've wasted a whole paragraph on the title of the bag.

Now for the innards. Just for kicks I used a special stitch from my wonderful Pfaff sewing machine. (I LOVE my Pfaff, by the way. I've had it almost 10 years, now, and it still works like a dream. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. If it ever dies I'm going to crawl in a hole and weep for days.) The stitch added a nice touch on the pocket. I also put a magnetic snap closure in so that the contents of the bag don't go spewing out in full view of the unsuspecting public.

Here's a better view of the inside. Sorry about the tissue blocking the shot. And the yarn hiding in the corner. I can't imagine how that got there. I really don't have that much yarn lying about.

Heh, heh.

(If you're interested in sewing your own bags, I'd recommend checking out this site.)

So, now for the critique. I think I did a decent job sewing this bag, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. If the pocket were less floppy at the opening and the stitching around the edge a little cleaner, it'd be a perfect bag. The handles came out nicely, though, and the lining fit perfectly. I also stiffened up the bag itself by sewing in some extremely thick sort of interfacing.

I tried using this as a purse for a day, but it just didn't suit me. I really like the fabric (duh, since I picked it out after all!), but it was just too big for me. I don't care for my purse to be too big. The reason for this is that Handyman views my purse as a carry-all for my stuff as well as his. By the time he's stuffed his keys, his wallet, his cell phone, and other sundries from his pocket into my handbag, it could roll a strike at a bowling alley. To avoid having to explain all this to him, I just stick to a purse that can barely fit my pocketbook and lipstick. Much easier.

After all, if he wants, he can use this bag as his own purse, hee hee! I'm not using it!

No comments: