Thursday, July 3, 2008

Them Pesky Varmints!

Every year Handyman plants an enormous garden (this photo is last year's garden), and takes great pride in the amount of produce that it, well, produces. (Okay, so I'm not very articulate this morning. I'm sleep-deprived. Quit snickering and keep reading.)

He works very hard at it.

Usually, this results in a spectacular garden, complete with posh accessories like edge to edge carpeting. (We're Flatlandbillies. We can't be Hillbillies, because this is the Midwest where there aren't any hills except the occasional speed bump.)

We don't have any neighbors on either side of us, but last Fall we had an unofficial neighbor in the form of a very cute, very fat, very cuddly-looking groundhog. I enjoyed watching this adorable creature venture from his den (i.e. the neighbor's porch) from time to time, and really didn't think anything of it.

Then we discovered that "he" was a "she", and "she" was now accompanied by two even cuter babies. This was also fine, but like young people everywhere these days, the babies didn't seem eager to move out and start a life of their own. (I can state from experiance that this is a dilemma of parents of all species. Just ask my Mum about certain siblings of mine . . .).

Guess where their favorite restaurant is?

Handyman is very upset, to a level of which I've not seen in a long time. I would say this this level of upset ranks about even with "I'm sorry, sir, but football has been canceled for the entire season."

This photograph shows my Handyman with red eyes. That is not due to the camera flash.

War has been declared. I wonder who will win?

No comments: