Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fair Week

This week the local county fair begins in our rural Midwestern town, and is something for which my children and I look forward to all year long. (Seriously, do you even KNOW how annoying it is to have to explain to a four year old that the fair is in the fall, when he's asking about it in the winter? And then the aforementioned four year old asks every week until the fair actually gets here?)

Oh, the fun times! We enjoy the rides, the food, seeing the animals, the food, looking at the exhibits, the food, and oh, did I mention the food?

Think I'm nuts? Well, then, you've never tried fried cheese curds at a Midwest fair. Cheese curds rank right up there with the forbidden fruit. I might risk getting kicked out of Eden for a bit of fried cheese curds. I never did understand why Eve fell for fruit, but then, I'm more of a carbs gal myself . . .

Where were we?

Oh yes, the fair!

Every year I try to enter enough stuff (which will hopefully win ribbons which hopefully awards money) to pay for the cost of a season ticket (the "season" is only a week, but that's how they try to justify charging $12 just to get in.) Prizes aren't usually more than $5 for a blue ribbon and a little less for red and whatever color comes after that. White?

Most of the knitting I entered is stuff you've already seen, but this is something I haven't yet blogged. It's the Trellis pattern from Knitty. It was a really fun knit, and came out quite nicely, I think. I used size 5 needles, because I wanted it to be a tad smaller than the 6 months size that I followed.

The other thing I'm entering that I have pictures for is some homemade white bread. The recipe is one I adapted from my Auntie Sue's family favorite recipe. If it wins anything, it's all thanks to her!

Next week I'll post everything I've entered and how it all did. I'm just looking forward to a fun week at the fair with the kids.

Just to put you in the mood, here's a video clip of one of my favorite movies, Charlotte's Web. (Oh, you might want to pause the music player on the left sidebar first).

No comments: