Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hippie Yarn

Yesterday a few of my friends and their kids came over for a bit of hippie-ness in the form of dyeing yarn with packets of Kool-aid.

Things went surprisingly well. I had visions of Kool-aid being flung everywhere, but the kids were very well behaved and took their job very seriously.
The range of artistic expression was very interesting.
The yarn I had purchased through Knitpicks was a wonderfully soft blend of merino wool with alpaca, and it took the dye very well. Something that I found rather cool was that when the yarn was plunked into a pitcher of Kool-aid, the dye immediately soaked into the wool, while the liquid stayed in the pitcher! What was a moment before vivid blue liquid turned magically into a clear liquid devoid of any dye!


After the yarn was dyed to the kids' satisfaction, I zapped each skein in the microwave for a few minutes to set the colors. I have to say, wet wool is very stinky, and wet hot wool is not any better! From there, the yarn went outside to dry on the front porch.
Peter and Miss Boo were especially proud of their creations. They have both been hugging their skeins of soft yarn to themselves rather like a stuffed animal. (Peter was wiggling when I tried to take this picture, and I threatened to take his yarn away from him, hence the glare.)
*Sigh* I have really trained my children well, ha ha!

6 comments:

Ellen said...

What fun!! And what are the plans for this yarn? Do you have any? ;) Was just curious if the kids were going to make something with it, or if you were?

The colors are all so beautiful.

Wishful Acres Farm said...

It was fun, thanks for having us! I do have pictures for you but haven't gone through my camera yet. :-)
The yarn turned out great!

Mary said...

That's so pretty. I can't wait to see what you make out of it.

Unknown said...

What fun! The colors are very nice. What are you going to make?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's a great project for the kids! I wonder what their yarns will look like knit up

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

I love the pictures...and how you were able to get the kiddos to pose with their creations. I like all of the colors! Soft and colorful socks of any color are awesome!