Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

 . . . which might have been true for Mr. Alexander Pope, but up here in the Frigid North, Spring is far off, much less eternal, more like a cruel joke of the fates.

(Yes, I realize I'm completely taking his poem out of context.  I'm choosing to call it artistic license.)

So, I make do the best I can, which is to bring as much greenery indoors during the long winter as is physically possible.  (I'm doing better this year than last.  Last year I had so many hanging baskets that visitors were a bit afraid of being attacked by overhead plant life.)

February and March are the worst months of winter, because during those months my family is either 1) enjoying the balmy temperatures of Hawaii or 2) enjoying the balmy Spring temperatures of the Sunny South.

Thankfully during these months my beloved orchids put on their best show and bloom their little hearts out for me.  Phalaenopsis in particular stay in bloom for quite awhile, so they make excellent anti-depressants with few side affects other than a binge craving to go out and buy yet more Phals.

I've got five blooming right now (I forgot to get a picture of the two purples and a miniature white Phal), and another one on the way.  I can't remember which color it is either, so it's a bit like finding out if you're having a boy or a girl, minus all the expense and mind-numbing pain.

Hmmmm, I didn't get a picture of my Cattleya either, did I?  I think that one might start blooming in a month or so too . . . . must go check . . . .

No comments: