Now that we will soon be having another little person in our home, we've been doing some shifting around and rearranging of rooms and furniture. Peter and Gabe now share a room, and unfortunately Peter's old dresser was too small to fit both his clothes and his brother's.
Handyman was able to score this heavy wooden dresser from the Salvation Army for only $15, and I repainted it with a high gloss latex white paint. It took three coats, and the finished result was wonderful!
For the knobs, I decided to cover them with some tiny glass pebbles I found at Wal-mart for $3. With advice from my crafty friend Nikki, I used Liquid Nails to adhere the pebbles onto the knobs.
Before I had figured out what I wanted to do with the knobs I had painted them white. However, to ensure the glue adhered well, I had to sand off the paint from the facing of the knobs.
(Nikki explained that this was because the glue had to be attached to the wood, and not the paint. It took a lot of painful thought, but after awhile I got what she was talking about.)
Using the liquid nails and a plastic knife, I slathered on the glue to the facing of the (now sanded) wooden knob.
The glass pebbles I had already put into a shallow bowl. Aren't the colors pretty?
I gently pushed the knob into the pebbles to get them to stick to the glue. Notice I did not put any glue around the underside of the knob. That's where the fingers "grip" the knob, and I didn't want it to be painful for the boys to put their clothes in their drawers (or at least any more painful than it already is to get them to put away their clothes.)
The pebbles stuck pretty well by themselves, but I gently patted down the pebbles deeper into the glue, and added a few pebbles where there might have been gaps.
After I finished all the knobs I let them dry for 24 hours before I put them in the drawers. The boys are pretty rough with their things, but the pebbles haven't fallen off and it's no trouble for them to grasp the knobs to pull open the drawers.