Friday, February 10, 2012

Valentine's Cards


I'm not usually one who does much for Valentine's Day.  I don't make a wreath or decorate the house in nauseatingly pink and red shades of (gag) affection.  Perhaps this has something to do with my own emotional and mental state in the middle of February, but I like to think it has more to do with the fact that pastels make me ill (which also gets me off the hook for Easter).

However, I ran across this idea from Design Mom's Blog that seemed so easy, I had to try it.

First, I took pictures of the kids and told them to make a fist and extend it toward the camera. 

Immediately I saw the benefits of this Valentine idea: the kids only had to be clean from the torso up.  (Score!). 

I had them extend a fist towards the camera, which was a bit difficult for them to do without wiggling, but after about twenty tries I managed to get one photo that was relatively unblurry.

On my computer, I added the words Happy Valentine's Day near the top or wherever it seemed to work best with the position of my child.

Since I managed to do this two weeks ago, I just had the photos developed at Snapfish.com, but if you're in a rush you can easily get your photos developed at any 1-hour photo center.

At Wal-mart I found a bundle of heart-shaped lollipops for $1, so for $3 I managed to get enough lollipops for all three kids to have plenty of Valentine's Day cards to pass out to their friends.

I love the way Gabe's photo came out.  He looks like he's seriously contemplating eating the lollipop himself.

Using my exacto knife, I cut a slit on the top and bottom of the fist and slid the lollipop stem through it.

All done!  Isn't this a fabulous idea?!




No comments: