Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fairy Dreams Night Gown

April is turning out to be a colder month than March, but I decided to go ahead and sew a warm weather night gown for Miss Boo anyway, as it will (hopefully) be warm enough soon to make it a necessary transition from flannel to soft cotton.

Despite my objections, Miss Boo loves purple, so we've compromised by picking darker purple shades that make me less likely to want to gag. 

(She tends to gravitate toward that unfortunate ack-ack color of lavender that brings to mind all the sissy girls I knew when I was growing up whom I wanted to punch).

I have unresolved color issues.

I didn't have a pattern, but sewing a pillowcase style dress is so simple it wasn't necessary.  There are lots of free tutorials all over the internet, if you're interested.  I suppose the night gown could work as a dress as well, but the fabric pattern isn't well suited for it.

I used 2/3 yards for the main fabric, and 1/3 yard for the ruffle, binding, and tie.  I think next time I'd purchase a little more fabric, as I like her dresses to be just a tiny bit longer so she has room to grow in them.

I actually took the time to iron the binding I made, and it really came out rather well, I think.  

I used my serger to finish off all the seams, which was nice and quick and gives the garment a more professional look, I think.

My favorite addition to the dress is the ruffle I sewed onto the bottom.  Usually I just attach the ruffle right sides together, but this time I tucked the top edge of the ruffle under about a 1/4 inch and sewed it to the outside of the hem.  I love the way it looks!

 I think Miss Boo really likes it as well!

No comments: