Before Ella was born I started working on an outfit for her, and I didn't finish it until a few hours before she was born (what can I say, it was a looooooong labor and knitting helps me relax).
I am very happy with how well it came out, but I'd definitely not recommend this pattern to a beginner. It's not written in the typical standard knitting pattern fashion, and several parts I was only able to figure out because I've been knitting for awhile and I knew what was intended.
The cardigan I worked with the edging in green before switching to the white yarn.
I didn't add any buttons or button holes, because I wanted to use a ribbon to tie the neck closed. I sewed a simple green embroidery flower underneath the rosettes and attached the ribbons to the rosettes.
The bonnet was fairly straightforward, and I also used the green edging to match the cardigan. Ella has a large head for a newborn, and the hat barely fits, so I'd recommend using a larger needle if knitting this outfit for any but a newborn.
I'm least pleased with the booties. Handyman commented (and I agree with him) that they look like frilly moon boots. I think there are too many ridges worked before the top is decreased, and if I ever knit this again I would definitely ignore the number of repeats for the ridges.
I altered the directions for the dress quite a bit. For one thing, in my opinion the pattern as written is far too short (hitting just at the knee), so I knit several more repeats of the lace before working on the bodice.
Also, if I could do it again I'd just work the stupid thing in the round instead of having to mess with all that unnecessary seaming and purling. I was just a tad irritated to find (once I'd knitted the entire front) that I could have saved myself a lot of time and bother by ignoring the directions to knit the back and front sections separately.
The pattern calls for knitted straps, but I decided to make adjustible straps out of the ribbon. To do this, I sewed to lengths of ribbon onto the front of the bodice, and then pulled the lengths through the button holes from inside the bodice to the outside. I then tied the two ends together into a bow. (So essentially the back of the dress pattern as written becomes the front).
Well, I've finally started making interesting things for Baby Ella. I ran across a baby booties pattern on Ravelry , and I thought ...
First, start with an obscene amount of tomatoes. Yes, "obscene" is a measurable amount. Basically just fill your laundry basket ...
Over the July 4th holiday Handyman and I decided to take the kids on an impromptu camping excursion. I think the kids were ( insert heavy...
~~~~~ It's not too late to enter my giveaway ! I really like reading the blog Ruffles and Stuff where I've gotten so many great id...
Baking (2) cards (4) Children (139) Christmas (15) Cooking (18) Dyeing (2) Etsy (17) Freezer Paper Stencils (3) Gardening (37) Gift (21) Holidays (45) Home Decor (5) Home School (9) Housework (8) Knitting (228) My Patterns (25) Quilting (5) Recycled Yarn (3) Refashion (6) Scrapbooking (11) Sewing (72) tutorial (18) Yarn (23)
Powered by Blogger.