Friday, July 6, 2012

Socks for My Girls

 

 Although we are currently enduring a sweltering heat wave (today there was a heat index of 110!), inside we are blessed to have central air.  We don't have the thermostat set to an impractical level, but still, for little Baby Ella it can feel chilly for her tiny tootsies.

I always have a lot of extra sock yarn in the stash, which is perfect for teeny tiny socks.  Socks for babies have to have fairly stiff ribbing around the cuff or the socks won't stay on their feet.

This particular yarn was some leftover alpaca yarn that I dyed with Kool-Aid.  I got three pairs of socks out of that skein!  (More specific knitting information can be found on my Ravelry page.)

Since I happened to have the sock yarn leftovers out, I decided to knit a pair of socks for Breanna as well.

This sock yarn is perfect for summer wear, because it has a bit of chitin, a fiber made from shrimp and crab shells.

(Really).

The result is a very lightweight, breathable yarn that is naturally antimicrobial (translation: it reduces the smell of stinky feet).

Although it's always fun starting a new project with new yarn, there's something rather satisfying about using up the bits left over from other projects.  A perfect use for perfect little feet!

(Ravelry information for Breanna's socks can be found here.)

No comments: