Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ella's Christmas Dress

 

I got this fabric this summer and I didn't get around to making anything with it until this weekend (procrastination!)  I only purchased half a yard, so I had to use every bit in order to get a wearable outfit from it.

My MiL Diane picked up a handful of sewing notions from a thrift store, and in the bunch was a red binding that matched perfectly!


I added a bit of lace at the cuffs and the bottom hem, but this time I was able to restrain myself and didn't get too wild and crazy . . .
 
Due to the limited amount of fabric I had to work with, I decided not to use a pattern but just made a simple peasant dress using a shirt Ella wears as a guide for sizing.  The dress won't fit her for long, but as it's a seasonal item anyway I wanted something that fit her perfectly right now.


I love adding a tag.  It makes me feel important and designer-ish.

For the back I did my favorite little cut opening and added a button closure.  The binding made this so easy to do.  Hopefully I can remember what I did the next time . . .


I had bits and scraps left over from the dress, so I made two little fabric shoes to match. 


I found the tutorial online, and it's my favorite bootie pattern for babies. They fit so well and don't take long at all to put together!




3 comments:

Merry said...

Love those booties, adorable! She looks so grown up sitting up in her dress!

Too Little Time said...

beautiful dress - I made similar from a "clown" halloween pattern - made nightgowns for my daughter, one of the best patters I ever had!!!

Ellen said...

She is absolutely adorable. That is such a pretty dress.