Saturday, October 30, 2021

Navigating Chicago

One of the interesting things I've noticed about my decreased mobility is also a corresponding increase in anxiety, especially with new situations where I'm not sure I'll be able to get around.

Thanks to a new power chair, I'm finding it easier to get out and do things. However, just because it's easier to get out doesn't mean that my nervousness with dealing with new situations has gone away. In an effort to challenge myself, I'm trying to push myself to try new things, or perhaps, try things that I would have done before, but now I have to do them in a new way.

That being said, it's still not as "easy" as before. A power chair has to be loaded onto my small attached trailer, hopefully no one will clip the back of the trailer, hopefully the weather will be good, hopefully I'll be able to find handicap parking, hopefully I'll be able to get the wheelchair off by myself, etc etc etc. . .  Then factor into all that the natural anxiousness accompanied by a drive into downtown Chicago, and you'll have a good idea of how much bravery it took.


But I did it!

Not only did it get to see a friend that I haven't seen in 15 years, I also got to spend the evening with my brother and sister-in-law, which is always a treat, and not just because they make excellent food 😁.

I guess just like anything scary, once you've done it, the next time it's a just a little less scary. Here's to another adventure under the belt and hopefully more to come!



 

No comments: