Monday, October 25, 2021

So Good to Sew Again

 It's been a while since I've blogged anything. I guess I haven't been in the mood to share.


Another thing I haven't done in a while is do any sewing. In the past, knitting was my preferred hobby because it was more portable. However, the other day I happened to be at Jo-Ann fabrics and the sewing bug hit, haha.

This also coincided with a recently canceled order from Zulily. (As in, I put lots of adorable outfits in my shopping cart, and then Reason/Economy stepped in and made me dump them all back out again.) So, in that dangerous state of mind hovering between self-satisfaction from having saved myself about $100 and a tinge of sadness that I hadn't splurged $100, I stepped into JoAnn's.

Isn't this fabric pretty? 

I was talking to a friend recently, and she reminded me of when we were kids and her Home Ec Guru mother was horrified that I preferred to sew without patterns. (I can sew with a pattern, but I usually can't be bothered. Too time-consuming). 

Anyway, I guess-timated, and purchased 2 yards of fabric, which was just about the right amount for a cute skirt for my youngest. 

She's nine, now, can you believe it!?

I love that my Viking sewing machine has a variable speed setting. It made me a little less anxious about letting Ella have the controls. She likes to sew like she does everything else . . . fast, fast, and faster. Still, she did a pretty good job.



To finish the ensemble, I took one of her solid-colored, long-sleeved tees and appliqued a heart onto the front with some leftover scrap fabric.

She likes it, I like it, and best yet, I got three outfits for under $20, and we got to spend time together making something even more special than clothes - memories.

No comments: