Friday, March 30, 2007

Rainy Day Knitting and Fun

Today I didn't have to teach, so I invited Lynn J. and her kids over for a rainy day play date. While Lynn and I discussed knitting and other interesting topics, the kids played. She has a little girl (Gracie) about Peter's age and a little boy (Lane) that's Breanna's size :).

The afternoon went very well, up until our nice postal carrier knocked on the door to tell us that our angelic children were playing on the roof.

THE ROOF
.

Somehow, Peter and Gracie figured out how to open one of the upstairs windows, and had slipped out the window onto the porch roof.

As Lynn packed up her kids (Gracie with wet hair from being outside on the roof) and drove away, I had one of those "mommy moments"; do I spank Peter within an inch of his life, or hug him to death from my relief that he is still alive? I opted on a compromise. I sent Peter to bed, which I'm sure is the worst punishment I could give him.

So what did I do while my naughty children were incarcerated in bed? Why, I made myself a soothing cup of Earl Grey tea and knitted.

I think I finished knitting the Falling Leaves scarf for my secret ISE4 pal. I am not sure yet if it's quite long enough (42") so I'm waiting to hear back from her before I try to block it. If she's a tall person I'll have to get another skein and add a few more inches. Any advice on how to block a bamboo scarf?

Although I still have at least three other UFO's, I cast on another project, which is going to be another scarf. I'm using the same yarn (Plymouth Royal Bamboo) but a different lace pattern. This pattern is called Tiger's Eyes and is quite challenging for me to knit. At first I couldn't figure out what "no stitch" meant in the graph, but after some google search, I think I've got it down. I've completed two repetitions, helped greatly by my new handy-dandy floral stitch holders from my wonderful ISE4 secret pal. I don't think this will be a fast knit, because it requires a lot of concentration.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are lucky someone was looking out for them! ACK! Not sure how to stress how HORRIBLE it was for them to be up there.

You are right though...wanted to hug them to death and them spank them to death. haha!

Brenda said...

Glad your kids were OK! Going to bed would be a pretty good punishment (from your point of view) and pretty awful punishment from Peter's POV.

The scarves are very pretty! I've seen the tiger's eyes lace pattern before, and I thought it looked more like an owl. But it is still very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Dawn, Lynn's sister and aunt of Gracie. Not being a mother myself I did not have the problem of deciding wether to hug or spank. I immediately asked Lynn how much she spanked Gracie.
I also have crocs. 3 pairs, some with holes and some without. I have been wearing them for 2 years now and use them for everything. Even working out! I'm always amazed when I put my tennis shoes on how much more comfortable my 30 crocs are.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad the children were ok! That must have been horrifingly scary to find them out there!

BTW...I'm having a little contest over on my blog for a set of stitch markers I made. If you're interested come on over and enter. It's open to everyone so your visitors to your blog can drop by too!

Ellen said...

Oh my!!!! Glad they are all safe. :) Love, love, love the color of your yarn. It's making a beautiful scarf.

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Hi Rach,

Yes, some punishments are worse than a spanking...for Caleb it would have been going straight to bed. I am glad they didn't get hurt. What in the world were they doing up there? Mom's need 2 or 3 sets of eyes! I'm going to add some posts to my blog...check back soon. Love, Angie

Danielle said...

Oh Rachel, how awful for you guys! What a terrifying experience to say the least. It's stuff like that that makes my stomach do a cartwheel. God had to have sent that mailman over in the nick of time. I agree with your sister, Mom's do need 2 or 3 sets of eyes! Oh boy, oh boy, what a day! At least you got some beautiful knitting done. Both scarf patterns are really pretty. I do think you and I are "kindred knitters". I love SWS and simply soft, I'm glad to have found someone else online who does too. I think the swan lake cardigan will be nice out of ss, easy to wash and inexpensive to make. How can you go wrong-just like Peter's sweater, right?

Michelle said...

Have you nailed the windows shut yet? I don't even like to imagine how terrifying that must have been!

Your scarves are absolutely beautiful.

Unknown said...

AHHHH! They must take after Andy, right?? :)
Glad they're okay and you didn't have a heart attack when you found them. :)