Monday, April 23, 2007

Column of Leaves Scarf

YES! Now I have more time to obsess about this lovely, gorgeous, stunning, delicious (sorry, I'll try to stop drooling) yarn I bought at the Fiber Arts Faire from Sandy's Palette. It's 85% wool/15% mohair, and is so lusciously soft I can't put it down! And, it was only $16 for the skein (considering what some of the skeins were selling for, I thought this not too bad).

I started knitting the Column of Leaves scarf, a free pattern I found here. However, I found it nearly impossible to knit until I charted it. Soooooooooo much easier, now! Now I would classify it as a "medi-con" (medium concentration), and I might even be able to just memorize the pattern after a few repeats. Although the pattern isn't mine, I have posted the chart on my design blog for those interested in knitting this lovely scarf. You can also find the link in the sidebar of this blog. (Note: would you let me know if you can't print the chart? I'm curious if it will work the way I posted it . . . .)

I do need some help, though. I only have 190 yards of this, and it's a light worsted weight knitted with size 6 needles. Do you think I've got enough yarn to make an average length scarf? I've only knitted scarves with fingering weight yarn, so I'm unsure. I don't want to knit too much more until I'm certain I'll have enough to finish - this yarn, although green, does not take well to frogging!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I meant to tell you that the scanning thing sounds like a great idea! You're right about the color coming out great on your scarf as well as the detail (I love that green BTW). I'm going to try scanning my next project that I post about.

Danielle said...

I don't know if that will be enough for a scarf. I think it definitely can be hard to tell with certain stitches. That pattern looks like it eats up a lot of the yarn. I hope you'll have enough, I wish you luck. It's a gorgeous pattern, btw. I'm just the opposite as you about charts, I've never liked them much. I really do much better with the written out instructions. I sometimes wish I did like the charts. When I cross stitched the charts for the designs never bothered me then. I just don't really like the knitting charts. Who know's?

Tracy said...

OK, I keep having to rip out my column of leaves scarf, no matter how many times I count, I seem to end up with two (or more) extra stitches when finishing up the second row! I know you said you had issues with the scarf too, is there something obvious I'm missing?