Saturday, May 19, 2007

Garage Sale Heaven

On Friday I went with the kids to Lena to go to the Lena-wide garage sales. I love to go to garage sales, but with the two kids, it's pretty difficult. However, when there are a lot in one area, I just load the kids in my wonderful double-jogger-stroller, and off we go!

I think I walked through half of Lena, but wow did I get some deals! I'm still high about it! First on my list of "gushing greats", is this incredible bag for my scrapbook stuff. I was seriously considering buying a Creative Memories rolling tote, but it's $110, and that is a bit high for me (sorry, Lynn). However, I saw this great rolling cooler, and thought that it looked about the right size, and it is! For $10, I got the most wonderful sturdy rolling tote that fits all my scrapbooking stuff! I couldn't resist taking a load of pictures, because I'm so incredibly excited about this find. Plus, since it's a cooler, it's insulated and waterproof (or coffeeproof, Andy would say).



Then, for $5 I got the nicest Fischer Price train set. After replacing the batteries, I found out that it has a controller, goes to different "stations" along the track, plays music, and more! The kids are so thrilled with this new toy, and even the cat has been checking it out. I always feel bad that my kids have mostly icky toys, but at least this garage sale find is a good one!


I hit the jackpot of ladies clothes, because I got at least 12 shirts and a few pairs of jeans/capris, all for $.75 each! The incredible thing, is that it's all Gap, Old Navy, or Express stuff, and a few things still have their tags! This cute Old Navy skirt is even reversible! How cool is that?

I also got the cutest baby rabbit for my mom's classroom. The bunnies are still too little to leave their mother, but they'll be ready by June 3. I'll "have" to watch the little bunny for my mom until she comes in July. (I haven't mentioned this to Andy yet. I'm waiting for him to have a rousing "Settler's" win, or else have a really good meal . . .). I was thinking of naming it "Honey". You know, like "Honey the Bunny" . . . corny, huh?
Then, to top off a perfect day, I got some yarn in the mail that I'd ordered a while ago. It's to go with the "Column of Leaves" scarf that I started and then realized I didn't have enough yarn for. (I just love getting yarn in the mail. It's like Christmas!)
Then, I broke down and bought some yarn from Verna's yarn shop. I was pretty good all month, and didn't buy a thing (I think). For some reason I found the variegated colors in this yarn appealing, and I plan to knit something with it.
To top of a perfect day, I even got my last item from the Arbonne order I placed a month ago. What a great day!

8 comments:

Ellen said...

You DID have a great day! What great finds you made! I love your tote, how ingenious! It looks nice. Enjoy on all your "new stuff"!

Cindy said...

What lovely yarn! I find those colors really appealing too.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sounds like you definately had an awesome day! Look at all those wonderful finds at the garage sales...and that bunny is sooooo cute!

Unknown said...

The tote IS neat... gotta love those great yard sale deals!!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

You are seriously putting your scrapbooking items in a cooler!?! You are the funniest person ever! haha!!

I got a bike, closet organizer, oak frame, tons of books and a christmas plate and cup for santa. Super cute stuff! Had a great time!

A cooler?? *shaking head*

Danielle said...

Looks like it was a great day! I love it when I find something that works perfectly for something, that is meant for something else. I bet that scrapbooking rolling tote is practically made exactly the same way as the cooler you got! If you get to looking at things like that usually you'll see so many similarities to other items we already use.

My boys had that exact train set when they were littler. They loved it too. We donated it I think. Your kiddo's will have lots of fun with it!!

The comment thing is still being finicky on my page, I had to press this allow button that I never have had to before on a post I just did. Who knows?

Acornbud said...

What a great haul! Is it Christmas already? :)

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Wow...Rach, hit the jackpot!!! I love that you improvise like only the best Kahue can, but I have an awesome bag with your NAME on it. It'll be on it's way with Caleb and the family in July. I am positive you will find a great use for that cooler!

Your taste in yarn is very similar to mine...but for me it's beads right now...I go ga-ga over beads. :) Ha! I hope to make myself some great things soon, but I keep giving them away as gifts. To me, it's more fun making stuff for others.

Love the little train set, too. The kids will love that for about a minute.. J/K Ha! But, you know how kids are. Although out of all the many, many toys Caleb has ever had, he loved trains the longest!!! Well, that and his video games.

Well, I am thinking about joining the family on the LONG drive and flying back, but I don't know if I can swing it....and I don't know if I could handle a long ride in the car with Nathan and Caleb. I'd like to fly up though...we'll see what I can swing. Love, Angie