Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Nice Spring Evening

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. I've been quite busy! I'm still teaching about 3 hours a day, and with this beautiful spring weather comes more work to do outside (if one can truly call gardening "work").

Yesterday, my dishwasher was making very loud crunching noises, and (after making sure it wasn't chewing my dishes), I called the repairman. Meanwhile, I had to wash an entire load of icky dirty dishes. I had no idea how many dishes I can fit into my dishwasher! It took me almost an hour and a half to wash all those dishes! Of course, it would have taken longer if not for my handy little dishwasher buddy . . . . By the time we finished the dishes, Peter was quite good at rinsing the dishes and putting them on the towel. He really helps his mommy a lot around the house (I'm trying to train him to be a good husband, someday! :).

Last evening the weather was fairly nice, and so we decided to grill outside. Andy also managed to find a few morels that day, so I sauteed them in butter with a few fresh asparagus from our garden. (Are you drooling, yet?)

While I had three nice fat hamburgers going on the grill, Andy rototilled the garden. Every year we have a HUGE garden. Andy comes from a large family, and they always had a big garden. however, our family is sizably smaller, but I don't think he's noticed that, yet. Our garden produces enough food to feed half of Freeport.

See that glorious, black dirt? All my relatives down South are so envious of my dirt. Who needs Miracle-gro when you've got topsoil like this?

I had to take a picture of the cilantro. I first planted cilantro in my garden the summer Josh lived with us, and every year since it's reseeded itself and come back. Whenever I want a tasty Mexican dish, I just head out back and pick a little bunch. My cilantro always reminds me of Joshy. (He likes scrambled eggs with cilantro).

Now, introducing the newest member of our little family - Fatty the Fish. Fatty is a Wal-mart acquisition (I'm keeping the receipt in case he goes belly-up). Peter thinks he swims funny, and christened him "Fatty". So far, Fatty seems quite at home in our little pond.

My tulips are coming up in bunches, now. That's one advantage to having cold weather - the tulips love it. Every fall I plant more bulbs, so it's fun to see which tulips come up where. I can never remember where I've planted them, so it's always a bit of a surprise.

I've given up trying to keep Rhapsody indoors. When the kids and I are outside, I let her out, and she seems to stay in our yard or close vicinity. I think she liked inspecting the garden after Andy was finished with it. In any case, her paws left little marks all over my nice clean floors when she came inside. Stupid cat.

Finally, closing with some knitting content. I haven't had much to show on the knitting front lately because I've been so busy. However, I would have had more to show had it not been for "Breanna's Impossible Dress". I'm calling it that, now, because it is almost impossible for me to knit. I am now knitting the bottom ruffle FOR THE THIRD TIME. After frogging it once, because I didn't cast on enough stitches, I had to frog it again, because I realized that I was knitting the wrong size. Originally, I thought an 18 month size would fit Breanna, but as it seems it will take me a year to knit this awful thing, I figured I'd better frog and re-start for 2T size. So, now I am working with 549 stitches. 549! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! And, as if things couldn't get worse, I cannot seem to find the 24" circular needle, so I'm working all these gazillion stitches on a tiny 16" circular needle. I took the picture of the "Impossible Dress" before I frogged it. Hopefully I'll get this far before I have to frog it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think YOUR garden is huge wait till you see ours! I swear we went and purchased more seeds for more veggies than we could possibly eat!

I'll never be able to knit this summer cause I'll be too busy gathering and canning veggies. Better get busy making the homespun dresses cause I'm going to be a true pioneer woman yet!

Cindy said...

My grandparents used to have a garden like that, in the middle of Hartford, Connecticut. (Being depression-era folks from Kansas had something to do with that, I'm sure.)

We don't do anything except tomatos & jalapenos here.

549 stitches on a 16" needle is an exercise in patience, I'm sure. Hopefully the third time will be a charm!

Ellen said...

I am jealous of how far ahead all of your gardening efforts are... all of our plants are still seedlings on the porch. Your topsoil does look incredible! My daffodils are just beginning to open, and we normally are not able to plant our garden until the last week of May. Your tulips are beautiful. What a good helper Peter is!