Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Scarf 911

I need some help with a scarf I'd like to knit, and I thought I'd ask you wonderful knitters out there in blog-land.

I have 3 skeins of gorgeous vanilla-colored Royal Bamboo yarn, and I'd like to knit a scarf for -------. However, I just can't settle on a pattern. I have searched and searched the internet, and have been unable to find the right match. There are tons of patterns I love, but just don't seem right for a solid colored yarn. This yarn is about a DK/Fingering weight too, so it needs something light and airy, and as I'm partial to knitted lace, I think that might perhaps look nice.

Okay, here are some of the specs for the pattern I'm looking for:
* Must look good with solid colored white yarn
* Must have an "airy" quality
* Must work with fingering weight yarn
* Difficulty level doesn't matter
* Don't necessarily mind paying for a pattern, although free is even better :)

Just to add more interest, if I pick your pattern suggestion to knit, I'll send you a skein of Lion Brand's Magic Stripes sock yarn as bribe! Just leave me a comment!

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Scarf pattern, I really can't help you there. I'm sorry my friend. I will try to think on it though. Bribery works every time to get people's interest up, haha!!

Acornbud said...

There are a few free ones here
http://catmccall.blogspot.com/2002_07_01_catmccall_archive.html
Did you look there already?

Anonymous said...

I found one recently I am quite looking forward to doing myself:

http://www.islandofmisfitpatterns.com/2006/08/18/brookes-column-of-leaves-scarf/print/

I think it would look great in white!

Linda
(You can email me through my website if I am so lucky as to win!)

Anonymous said...

oops...maybe not so airy as you may have liked. Then again, you could add holes! :o)

Linda

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

I know you are the knitting queen, but I love crocheted scarves...ones where you take 2-3 strands at a time to make it nice and thick and fluffy. I hope you come with something. :)

Oh, I made a wonderful gift for Mom...but since I know she snoops around here sometimes..I won't tell you what it is yet. I will take pics and post a blog on Mom's day. Love, Angie

Ellen said...

I don't have any great ideas to offer, ... as this doesn't happen to be one of my MANY crafts,... I just had to post and say how much I love your socks! SO COOL. -Seriously, if I had time, ... I would LOVE to learn to knit!! Oh well,... I continue to admire your work, as always. :) Have a good day!! I think that the yarn you're looking to make a scarf with, will make ANY pattern you choose, beautifully.

Anonymous said...

there is a KAL going on for the gothic leaf stole that can also be done as a scarf and would look lovely in this white yarn airy yet pleasing..for fingering weight...and only takes just under 400 yds for the scarf. here's the link. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SiviaHardingKnits/
once you add your info to the database sivia will send you the info on the scarf instead of the stole to make from her pattern that via email. some are adding beads as well to the stole or scarf. lovely piece. :)
her patterns can be purchased here:
http://www.siviaharding.com

celia said...

Airy, huh? Does that mean lacey?
I am making the flaling waters scarf and I think it's a great pattern and will look nice with a solid white yarn. The scarf looks like it is moving, almost like a cabled scarf but has holes to make it lacey.

Anonymous said...

i think this pattern is great for fingering weight yarns!! i'm planning to knit this in the future

http://twoleftneedles.com/archive/2006/12/14/2235.aspx

Leonie said...

Chosing a pattern was the part I found the hardest for ISE4. There are a couple at Knitpicks (in their free section) - Fishtail Lace Scarf and Candleflame Scarf. Also in the Interweave Knits free pattern section there is one that looks nice -Penobscot Silk scarf - it's in the Sweet Somethings link. Hope you find the "right" pattern soon!

Michelle said...

How about this one:

http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=208024