Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Knitting Updates

I finished knitting the cabled panel for the Midwest Pullover, and I hate to admit this, but it seems Andy was right. (Okay, it's in writing. As they say, "even a stopped clock is right twice a day!") The first cable, now that I can view it in a more dispassionate light, was just too elaborate. Ah well!

The second version is much simpler, but is a little narrower and much more "manly"; perfect for my "manly man" (as Lynn J. says)!

Here's how it looks so far. I really like it, now, and I can't wait to finish up the neck and start on the sleeves. The sleeves will have just the diamond cables running up the length, and will be solid blue. (I just love cables!)

I've also been working on another pair of socks. I finished the July 4th Socks, and started another pair with the same pattern. What you see in the photo I've had to frog, because the needle size I used was just a tad small. The yarn I'm using is absolutely amazing! It's called "Toefootsies", or something like that, and is made of chitin, a naturally antibacterial fiber made from crab and shrimp shells. The oddity factor alone makes it cool, but the feel and drape of this yarn is just wonderful. I love the colors, too. It is a bit "Monet", and I'm a huge fan of Impressionism. I'm so glad that it was gifted to me by LaVerna, because now I don't have to feel guilty about keeping this pair of socks for myself!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Lots to comment on this morning! :-) You definitely need to use the more ornate cable for something else. The Bee Fields Shawl is fantastic -- be sure to let us know how it knits up.

And I can't believe I've been so distracted by computer problems and a plugged sink and a snake that we may or may not have run over (he did look just find when we relocated him) that I forgot about Harry Potter!

Brenda said...

I really like both sets of cables, but I agree for a man's sweater the simpler is better. That will be a really wonderful sweater!

Great colors in the sock yarn!

Ellen said...

The sweater is going to turn out really nice (of course, there were no doubts...) :) I love the look already. And your new pair of socks sound very interesting - absolutely gorgeous colors! I do love that pattern!

Violiknit said...

Definitely a gorgeous, but manly sweater! Love those new socks you're knitting too.