Friday, July 27, 2007

Knitting Updates

I haven't really felt inspired to do my usual frantic knitting lately, but I've been steadily plugging away on a few things. The Maunawili Falls Vest is coming along nicely, and I've finished the back and am starting the neckline of the front. I like how quickly this knits up. I use size 10 needles, and since there's no sleeves, it's a fast project that can still fit in the "sweater" category.

My mom wanted a vest as well, but she picked out a lovely green shade of Malabrigo called Verde. It just arrived in the mail yesterday, so as soon as I finish my own vest, I'll cast on another one for my mum. I love the color, but if one is consistent with the "water" theme of the vest, I'd have to say that the idea of "pond scum" is rather accurate. However, I still like the color, so I'll have no problems finishing the "pond scum" version of Maunawili Falls!

The sock is coming along slowly, but steadily. I haven't really been working on it much, but I'm so glad I frogged the first try and re-knit it on size #2 needles. The colors were pooling with the #1 needles, and I think this pattern looks best with stripes, instead of blobs of color.

Finally, I made one more yarn purchase of my favorite "cheap" yarn, Caron Simply Soft. I've raved about it before, but let me remind you that it's inexpensive, indestructible, soft, and long-lasting. I've told Peter I'd knit him a blankie for his birthday, and although it's not his birthday until November, I figured I might as well get started. I'm not exactly sure how it will look yet, but I thought I'd do sampler squares and then crochet them all together.

I got the idea from Anne's blog, and I like the look of knitted squares much better than crochet (sorry, all you crocheters out there!) Plus, it will be an excellent way for me to practice some favorite stitch patterns from my Vogue Stichionary books!

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Such pretty colors! And I do love the look of that blanket! It will be so pretty; I can't wait to see the finished product!

hakucho said...

Your vest is so pretty...I love the color way :)

Good luck with your sampler blanket...you're right it's a perfect way to try out new stitches!

happy knitting :)

Danielle said...

I was thinking I might start a sampler blanket of some kind, maybe ripple stitches, after seeing Anne's the other day. I think that yarn your mum picked out is srumptious, it'll be more like lily pads sitting on the pond rather than pond scum LOL :) Your vests are so pretty, size 10 needles can be a nice change after knitting with 2's for socks. Which are looking very nice btw. (you know I love caron ss for the cheap yarn too :))

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Hey Rach,

I'm home! :) So glad! Had great trips, but I am so happy to be home. I love the colors of the yarns. Also, let me know how knitting squares go. Overall, Caleb's afghan is going well, but I am frustrated with the ends...I'm actually embarassed by them! It's a shame, because the rest of it looks great. I just don't know what the heck I'm doing, I guess. I can't quit or stop now, though. I am about 1/3 done. I am just going to continue plugging along, but I plan to figure out a way to hide or even out the edges! My blog is updated and filled...pls check it out soon. LOve, Angie

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel,
I can't wait for my pond scum vest to be complete. I will have to take a picture of it in front of a pond for special effect!!! :) Can't wait.
MOM