Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday Magic

Thanks, thanks, thanks for all the wonderful people who commented such nice things about my last post. I was really feeling down, but trying not to be down, you know what I mean? Sometimes I wake up with a clear picture of how I wish my day to go, and then life happens, and the books are all piled under the couch, and the kids are fighting, and the house is a disaster . . .

Anyway, it was a wonderful lesson in patience for me (hooray, I didn't blow my stack, as I was sorely tempted to do!) and a great reminder that God's plans are not always my plans, and His are always perfect. After a quick (okay, well, a bit longer than "quick") attitude adjustment, the rest of the day was off to a much better start.

I still haven't found "Houdini" Hunny Bunny (as Diane jokingly commented), and I'm so praying she'll show up. I saw two large dogs roaming the alley out back, but I didn't see anything soggy and white hanging from their slavering jaws, so I'm hopeful she's alright. I was pretty ticked off at Andy, because when I tearfully called him to tell him about my beloved bunny, his reply was; "Well, I told you I figured it'd only last six months . . .". As he's usually MUCH more sympathetic and kind, I'll do my best to forgive him for such poor timing (plus, Renee's post about being over-sensitive immediately came to mind; thanks, Renee!)

On a happier note, I got lots done around the house. The laundry is on the line, the house is (relatively) picked up, dinner is in the oven, I've finished teaching lessons, and best of all, I officially BLOCKED MY FIRST KNITTED ITEM!!! Woo hoo for me!! This a detailed picture of the falling water pattern, and the colors are nearly right, but not as vivid as the real thing.

At first, as I was sticking what seemed like a million pins in the front, I felt like muttering that blocking was a complete waste of time. However, as the detailed photo shows, I guess blocking truly does bring out the beautiful stitch details. Let's hope I did it correctly, and that I can keep my long-haired cat off it!

Also, I decided to scrap the idea of Peter's blanket being knitted of squares. After consideration, I figured that having to make sure every square was exactly the same size (but the pattern different) was way too much work. I surfed the wonderful web for a free pattern, and came across exactly the right one. Plus, I really enjoy doing cables, so this blanket is right up my alley.

Here's what I've done so far. I can't seem to get the colors right in the photo, but it's actually a lovely forest green. I let Peter pick out two colors for his birthday blankie, and to my consternation, I discovered that my son is a Slytherin. Ah well, as long as he doesn't start making Horcruxes, he'll be okay!

6 comments:

Kit-bert: "semi" eevil HR Director said...

slytherin and horcruxes?? hmm..I'm just going to assume that you're speaking Harry Potter language there and will have to defer to my boyfriend Hoffer to find out what that means...you and Hoffer have the same thing in common, both reading (aka obsessed and completely engrossed with) the last Harry Potter book and...you're both Harry Potter dorks! hmm, no wonder I love you guys so much. :) hee hee

(I'm off to the gym, yes I'm getting a very late start) Josh's fault :P call you tomorrow Rach! love you! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

LOVE the boy afgan! I'm going to make that one for Lane also!

Danielle said...

I'm so glad your day has gotten better :) I think hubby's can be so insensitive at times, and not even realize how they are acting! I can really hurt us, and they don't even know it until we point it out. I feel so sorry for you about your run-away bunny, hope she comes home soon:( I think that blanket is really going to be gorgeous, a true keepsake for Peter!

I haven't done much blocking myself in my knitting life, we have a lot in common when it comes to knitting LOL!

Thanks for the tip about the adult tomten cardi, wow it's a gorgeous one. I'm gonna have to make one for myself in the future.....

Diane said...

Patience is a funny thing. We tend to lose it when dealing when our children and those we love the most because they conflict with our desire for a clean and orderly household. However our long term goal as a parent is to raise happy, healthy, well adjusted children; not to be known as the woman with the cleanest laundry in town.

Cat fur on freshly blocked items is a must. Run a bit of tape over the finished piece and it'll come right off.

hakucho said...

Knitting makes me feel better :) Good for you blocking your first knitted item. The falling water pattern is beautiful. Good choice on the cabled afghan. Putting it together in rows will be much easier. You will certainly be a cable expert when you finish this beautiful piece :)

happy knitting :)
Hoping and praying Hunny Bunny shows up soon!

Ellen said...

-Glad your day did turn out better than it started. I think the different pattern for Peter's blanket is gorgeous - and as talented as you are with cables, I think it's going to be more than perfect! Hope that silly rabbit shows up today! ;) Praying for you.