Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lynn's Visit

This past weekend, my sister Lynn came up for a sort-of surprise visit. She wasn't able to stay too long, but we were able to pack in lots of fun while she was here.

I picked her up at the airport on Saturday morning, and we had a funny time getting turned around in Chicago (well, actually, I got turned around. I'm famous for my "sense" of direction!). We had a little bit of time to kill, so we first visited a nice yarn store (didn't buy anything, woo-hoo for self-control and no money!), where Lynn was introduced to the oooo's and ahhhh's of luxurious fibers. (I think I *might* have given her the ambition to start knitting. We'll keep our knitting needles crossed . . .).

By then, we were both starving, so Lynn treated me to a wonderful restaurant called Pettorino's (or something like that). It was definitely "high-society" stuff, and I felt so pampered. I was such a relaxing change not to have to cut up someone's food into tiny bites, or to move everything on the table out of little arm's reach.

I got the most delicious tasting chicken with lemon sauce and capers. It's not something that I'd usually cook, so it was a lot of fun trying something new. (By the way, that's water in the glass. I behaved myself, although Lynn did not, hee hee!).

After our lunch, we went to see the Broadway Musical Wicked at the beautiful Ford Theater. I was really fascinated by the history of the place, and the oriental architechture was so exotic feeling!

We got the BEST seats, right on the main floor, in aisle L. It was so perfect, because we were close enough to clearly see the actor's facial expressions, but far enough back to have a clear view of the entire stage.

I can't rave enough about how much I enjoyed this play. It was sad, heart-warming, and hilariously funny. Glinda was probably my favorite character, because she was just such a hoot! I can't believe it, but I think I liked the Chicago Glinda (Erin Mackey) better than the original performer (Kirsten Chenoweth)! I couldn't find a video of Mackey singing, but here's a fairly good video of Chenoweth as Glinda (this is after Glinda, the good witch, and Elphie, the bad witch, become friends.)



What a fantastic day in Chicago!

And, to top it all off, I felt especially chic and stylish due to my beautiful new leather handbag from Lynn. Lynn made me promise not to hang my keys on the outside, a very tacky thing, I was told (I immediately starting humming "Popular" to her . . . ).

When we got home, Lynn unpacked her bag of goodies for the kids. I can't believe how many cute outfits and shoes she spoiled the kids with!

Breanna, being a typical girl, had to try everything on at once. Peter was more like, "uh, where's the cars?"

On Sunday we walked to the playground nearby, and the kids had fun playing with their "Auntie Nynn".

Breanna, who simply LOVES the swings, was quite comfortable and content for once. I think she could have fallen asleep there!

Peter had to show off his prowess on the slides,

as well as the swings.

It was very sad saying goodbye to Lynn on Monday afternoon, but I hope she comes back to visit soon!

No comments: