Saturday, November 17, 2007

Feeling Blue

If you're a knitter, I'm sure you know all about UFO's (Unfinished Objects). Well, although I'm fairly good about finishing things, I have had one furry blue monster hiding in my knitting bag for several months.

Egad, can it really be since July since I pulled this thing out? It's a Christmas present for Handyman (sshhhh, don't tell!), and it's been steadily haunting my dreams. Its insidious presence has wormed its way into my subconscious, creating an overwhelming feeling of guilt and self-loathing. I think my subconscious and the Midwest Pullover are good buddies, by now.

Finally, unable to resist any longer, I pulled the blue monster out of its snug knitting bag. You see, the inescapable fact is that it was too short. I tried it on one of Handyman's brothers (poor man, he must have felt really stupid wearing a big blue thing with no arms), and the realization that the pullover was at least three inches short was too much for me to handle, and into exile the monster went (the pullover, not my BiL).

Ha ha, but duty has triumphed, and I am soooo pleased (and feeling rather smug) to announce that I have tackled the blue monster. I carefully un-sewed the shoulder and front panel seams, re-knitted, and sewed it all back together. Now the blue monster is it's proper length.

However, the blue monster was not going to take an extreme makeover like this lying down. Nope. Not at all.

The sleeves are giving me problems. After careful measuring and endless math equations, I made the schematics for the sleeves. I happily cast on, and away I went! I began to second-guess my math, though, (perfectly natural, as math is not my strong point), and altered the increases to every three rows, instead of every four rows. *Sigh* I should have trusted my math (I cannot BELIEVE I just said that!), because now I have a sleeve that would fit a very fat potato. It's getting too wide too fast.

Do you know why knitters refer to undoing their knitting as "frogging"? It's the horrifying sound of "rip-it, rip-it, rip-it". Hours of work, being undone - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

(Oh, I've decided to refer to my hubby as "Handyman", since I've recently been made more aware of the importance of internet safety. Actually, it's because I'm jealous of Pioneer Woman and her references to Marlboro Man, and I figured I'd copy her shamelessly, hee hee!)

No comments: