Thursday, November 1, 2007

Pushing Daisies

Now, contrary to popular belief, I am not an avid TV watcher. I cannot possibly tell you what shows come on at what time, nor do I much care. Other than my all-time favorite montage of dancing shows (i.e. Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance) I don't regularly watch anything else.

That, however, has changed. Drastically.

I am a HUGE, ginormous, humongous fan of the show Pushing Daisies. For one thing, it's narrated by Jim Dale, the narrator for the Harry Potter audio books. I could happily listen to the man recite algebraic equations, but when he gets to narrate such clever, witty, purely fantastical writing that is part of Pushing Daisies, I'm in heaven. Not only is Jim Dale on the cast, but also Kristen Chenoweth, of Wicked fame (and yes, she does occasionally burst into song at appropriate, or suitably inappropriate moments.) The other main characters are just as wonderful, but I'm not familiar with their work, so for purposes of this blog they must sadly remain in relative obscurity.

Secondly, I must mention that the show is absolutely rib-cracking hilarious. Don't watch this if you're feeling sorry for yourself. It'll ruin your bad mood and delusions of self-pity.

Thirdly, the icing on the cake, the coup-de-resistance, the mardi-gras of coolness, is that the detective, a surly, tough, rather cranky man - wait for it - knits. Yes, KNITS. Not only that, but his knitting needles saves them from being done-away-with in a rather spectacular way. On the second episode, it says that he knits for stress-relief, and (due to the inordinate amount of stress that recently came into his life) has knitted a vest, money holders, and gun slings. How cool is that?

So, I'd obviously recommend you watch it. If you missed it, I believe you can still download it for free here.

No comments: