Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Did I Mention De-Stashing?

Hmmmm, sometimes, I find it's not good to be good. Somewhere in my neurotic psyche, the urge to do something good is quickly followed up by an insatiable desire to do something naughty.

Case in point: I've been wanting to diminish my stash, so I've started several projects using stashed yarn.

I should have known that such a virtuous feeling wouldn't last. It was much "too good" to be true, ha ha!

So, there I was, innocently reading a friend's blog, when I saw that she had picked up some heavily discounted yarn from Webs. Oh dear. Stash envy set in Big Time!

Although I have occasionally splurged on yarn (especially when my LYS was retiring), this is the first online splurge. *Sigh*. I don't think it will be the last.

Usually I don't like buying yarn that I haven't felt before, but I think I've become sufficiently knowledgeable about yarn fibers to make a good educated guess as to what I'd like. In this case, my educated guess came out better than I could have hoped for.

Oo-la-la!

This is my first purchase of Classic Elite Yarns, and it's the Classic One Fifty in a nice mulberry sort of shade. It's sport weight yarn, perfect for some lighter sweaters, and such a scrumptiousy smooshy 100% merino wool softness! Ahhhhh . . .

Okay, next up for your envying pleasure is this Merino/Microfiber blend of Valley Fibers Sugarloaf in worsted weight. I can't wait to knit up a cabled sweater or cardigan with this stuff!

Less elite, but no less soft, is Lion Brand's Microspun sport weight yarn. I have a definite project in mind for this stuff, so I'm hoping to have it on the needles soon (as soon as I have a few needles free, that is!) Microspun is incredibly soft and wears well, but can be a bit of a pain to knit because it's somewhat splitty.

Finally, the best for last. Ella Rae Bamboo/Silk yarn in the perfect shade of Spring green. It's difficult to get greens right, and I was very nervous that I'd hate the shade when I actually saw it in person, but I love it! Bamboo and silk! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm sooo happy, can you tell? Yarn makes me this way. It's all the yarn's fault.

The bad thing is that there is a Fiber Arts Fair this weekend, and I have no doubt that I will see more delicious yarn that I will be unable to resist.

So much for cutting back on my stash.

No comments: