Friday, August 1, 2008

Feeling Foolish but Hopeful

Well, after considering it for awhile, I've decided to try selling a few of my handmade items on etsy, an online marketplace for handmade crafts. I've always balked at doing this because I never really believed it'd be worth my time and effort.

My emotions in trying this are very jumbled, with "feeling slightly foolish" coming up on top most often. It's very difficult to bare one's crafting soul to the public. What if it doesn't sell? What if my stuff languishes in there for years and years, slowly mouldering away? That negative part of my mind that says, "Sure, people want your stuff as gifts, but they'd never pay money for it" is having a heyday. ACK!

Anyway, I've set up shop there and put my first item up for sale. It's a tote bag that I made from the leftover fabrics from my dress. I bought a bit of contrasting fabric to line it with, and I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the results.

It's not really intended to be reversible, although it could certainly be used that way if you want to display the red fabric only. Of course, I put in lots of French seams. (Any excuse to use French seams is fine with me!)

Well, I'm off to go bite my fingernails. You can check out my etsy shop here, if you're interested.

No comments: