Thursday, January 8, 2009

Travlin' in the Bompey Bus

My parents have an RV which the kids have dubbed the "Bompey Bus", and when we went to Atlanta for New Years, we all crammed into it for the 4 hour drive.

The kids still have to sit in their car seats when we're moving, but having an on-board bathroom is wonderful, to say the least. Two potty-trained kids + waaaaaay too much soda + two tiny bladders = lots of bathroom breaks.

Halfway to Atlanta, we stopped at an exit to pick up my Auntie Erna and my Opa and Oma. Erna is my "honorary second mom", so of course that means she has three honorary grandkids. She even came up to Illinois with my Mum to take care of me after Gabe was born.

Heh, heh, that also means that Handyman has two mothers-in-law. When my Mum and Erna tag-team on him, it's a bit like watching pro-linebackers taking on Peewee Herman. (He secretly loves every minute of it, though. At least, that's what he claims.)

Now, everyone in my family is a char-ac-ter, but no one, NO ONE, in my family is more of a stinker than my Opa. Opa, who's real name is also Peter like my son, is a first-class pest.
In true "Opa Fashion", ten minutes after getting on the Bompey Bus, he had Peter so riled up, the kid practically wet himself.

It's a good thing Peter was restrained in his car seat, or I think he would have wriggled right out of his skin, he was that wound up.

Then, later, after the kids are sick from laughing and being silly, Opa says with a straight face, "Why can't you control your children?".

My Oma also has a wonderful (if slightly off-color) sense of humor, but thankfully she's got a bit more discretion about how far to push a five-year-old's buttons.

(Although, sometimes her sense of humor is suspect, as I'm told she found the movie "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" hilariously funny, and enjoys giving the finger to unwary passersby. Being given the birdy by an innocent looking 70 year old woman is quite an odd experience.)

Oma, aside from being the world's best back scratcher, is also right up there with the world's best scrapbook reader. She takes the time to look at every picture and read every journal entry, unlike most people who only pretend a passing interest in "the time the kids played in the sandbox".

Traveling is not usually fun, but with this cast of characters, it's definitely never dull!




7 comments:

Ellen said...

What fun! :)

You had such a great trip! Gotta' love family!

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Don't you just LOVE our family. Never, ever a dull moment. I just love how OPa loves to pester and rile up the kids. It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't creating as much noise as all the kids.

I also love the picture of Erna with Baby Gaby...that Erna loves those babies! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting your trip details and pics. It was all great. I think you do a fantastic job creating all that you do, you are really gifted. Say Hi to your folks for me.

Kahue said...

The Bompey Bus has sure been a fun vehicle especially loved and endeared by Peter and Bana! We are trully blessed with such an awesome family! When you mix the Hawaiian and Dutch cultures with all the varying personalities you wouldn't expect anything less! The Kahues have always been known for working hard both at work and play. Dad

Sereknitty said...

Think of the wonderful memories your kids will have of time spent on the Bompey Bus -- precious!

Unknown said...

"...unlike most people who only pretend a passing interest in the time the kids played in the sandbox."
How true! :) Looks like fun! I think that could be a new reality show. "Life on the Bompey Bus." It definitely would have some colorful characters! :)

Unknown said...

"...unlike most people who only pretend a passing interest in the time the kids played in the sandbox."
How true! :) Looks like fun! I think that could be a new reality show. "Life on the Bompey Bus." It definitely would have some colorful characters! :)