Saturday, January 3, 2009

Two Knits

I actually got these done before we left the Frigid North, but since I haven't had much access to a computer, I'm just now getting around to blogging them.

No, they were not knit for skis, they just look that way because I didn't bother to block them. They were for my Dad, who has perfectly normal sized feet, unlike Handyman, who really does have skis for feet.

This is a really bad picture of a really great pattern by Knitspot. I think I've made two or three pairs of these socks, and I still love the way they look. Plus, I've figured out a great way to memorize the pattern, which is just a repeating pattern of purl and knit over 12 stitches.
There are only four different rows, and each row is repeated four times. So, what I do is hum to myself the numbers 1 - 12, with all knit stitches being a tonic note and all purl stitches being a fourth lower. I suppose to anyone other than a knitting musician, this will sound like mumbo-jumbo, but to me it makes perfect sense, and was a fantastic way to memorize something that would otherwise have been slightly tedious.

The other thing I got done was a raglan sweater for baby Gabe, using some yarn my sister Angie gave me that was left over from the baby blanket she crocheted. I have to say, this acrylic yarn is hands down the softest stuff I've ever knit with aside from cashmere. It could easily pass for merino yarn, but has the added advantage of being washable.

I had just enough to make it a little big for him, so he can hopefully get lots of wear out of it.
It's a good thing the yarn was free, because the little stinker is already reaching for my wallet. Mmmmmmm, soft yarn, squishy baby . . . life doesn't get much better.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They are so cute when they are squishy:)

Ellen said...

LOVE little Gabe's sweater! Every time I look at a pic of him, I just can't get over those eyes! He's going to be a serious heart-breaker in a few years... ;) As always, beautiful handiwork, friend.

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

Yes, I just love that yarn, too. It's too bad we didn't get over to that Thai Chili and Yarn shop. :(

The sweater was just gorgeous... and it is a good thing it's machine-washable. Babies are not clean beings. Ha! If you ever want any more of that yarn, let me know. I hope to get some blogging in this week, too.

Unknown said...

Gabe is so cute, and that sweater is awesome too!! :)