Thursday, March 7, 2013

Belated Valentine's Date

Due to busy schedules and a visiting sister (hi Lynn!), Handyman and I hadn't had a chance to do anything for Valentine's Day other than exchange a few small trinkets.

So, thanks to a very dear friend who watched the kids for us, we were finally able to get away (squeee!) for a few hours.  First, we ate a fabulous lunch at one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall eateries called Pancho and Lefty's

It's a grill/bar right on the quaint town square and they serve fabulous and interesting food.  (Andy got a "tur-duck-en" burrito and I got fish tacos with slaw and cilantro.)
 
After our delicious meal we did some bargain shopping at a store that sells dented cans and slightly expired goods.  (I luuurrve this store.)  I got white whole wheat flour for $1.50 a bag, Starbucks coffee for $2.50, and so much more.  Nothing puts me in a better mood than a good bargain!
 
From there, we headed to Minhas Brewery.  Due to baby Ella's feeding schedule we didn't have time to do the tour, but for $10 we got to do a tasting and take home a 6 pack.
 
Now, "tastings" here aren't like a wine tasting, where you get a thimble full.  See that glass I'm holding?  They will fill it up and as many times as you want. (In my case I was practically pleading with them to fill "just a quarter full, not all full" as I'm not much of a beer drinker.) 
 
Thankfully not only do they brew beer (which Handyman asserts isn't that good, not that I can taste the difference), but they also brew fabulous soda using pure cane sugar instead of high fructose crap corn syrup.  I loved trying the different kinds; blueberry cream, orange cream, rootbeer, cherry, and more!
 

It was neat viewing all the beer memorabilia in their museum too.  My goodness, advertising slogans have changed!  Having recently watched Ken Burns documentary on Prohibition, I found that I especially enjoyed seeing how the brewery managed to keep producing even during that turbulent time (that's when they switched to brewing sodas).

 
 A fabulous way to spend an afternoon!

No comments: